X-Spot error codes

EsotericEsoteric Registered User
edited November 2008 in HES Automated Lighting
First of all I love the display on the X-Spot. Lots of useful information.

The unit I am working on now has several errors.

It has one edge not found error, four tab not found errors, and one closed not found error.

What is the difference between an edge, a tab, and a closed not found error?

I could not find it in the manual.

Also, does this seem indicative of problems with the wheels/sensors or more of a logic board issue?

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Depends on the edge, tab or closed not found,
    Seriously though, it just depends on the function, some of them are named differently.
    I assume things like the iris, say things like edge,
    wheels say tab, and I believe shutter says edge as well, but They all should have a function attached to them, such as Iris tab not found.
    Could you let us know what exact errors you are getting?
    That will help us narrow it down.
    Joshua Wood
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited October 2008
    I too am curious what specific errors you are getting, but I would guess that most of these errors are likely due to a common two phase card if they all popped up together. What happened that caused this problem? Was anything changed, or did this just show up out of the blue? If a two phase was changed, and the screws put into the wrong holes, it will mis-id the module, which can also manifest itself like this . . .

Also, when it finishes homing, does it say "X Spot Standard" or something else?

As Joshua said, give us more info, and I am sure we can help. For that matter, if you have a copy of the manual, it tells you specifically which errors relate to which wheel or component.

- Tim
  • EsotericEsoteric Registered User
    edited November 2008
    ERR GBO1 TAB NOT FOUND
    ERR FCS2 EDGE NOT FOUND
    ERR ROT2 TAB NOT FOUND
    ERR CTB TAB NOT FOUND
    ERR GBO1 CLOSED NOT FOUND

How is that for an error list?

Mike
    edited November 2008
    Impressive,
    you have error codes from pretty much every part of the fixture,
    Do the wheels try to home?
    do they move at all during homing?
    What are the lights on the 2 phase cards doing?
    (long thin rectangular cards)
    There is an LED beneath each Motor plug, this should change color as the fixture homes,

I also would check the 2 fuses in the top box, I am starting to wonder if the 2 phase card fuse has blown, that is an awful lot of errors to have, unless the fixture is in a terrible case of disrepair.

Here is the link the the manual, Most of these errors are listed starting on section 6-3, along with troubleshooting help.
    http://www.highend.com/pub/products/automated_luminaires/Xspot/docs/Xtrememanual.pdf

The one that is not listed is the Gobo 2 closed error. I don't know about that one, There really isn't a "closed" function to the gobo 2.
    I would start by fixing the other stuff, and see what happens with that error.
    Perhaps the fixture is trying to show 2 errors at once and getting them mixed up...

Good Luck, let us know how else we can help.

Joshua Wood
    edited November 2008
    Esoteric wrote:
    ERR GBO1 TAB NOT FOUND
    ERR FCS2 EDGE NOT FOUND
    ERR ROT2 TAB NOT FOUND
    ERR CTB TAB NOT FOUND
    ERR GBO1 CLOSED NOT FOUND

How is that for an error list?

Mike

I'd still like to know if it ever gets to "X Spot Standard" or something else on the display when it finishes attempting to home? I have had 2 phase cards get nutty (or misaddressed) and end up conflicting with others on the bus which can result in this type of "all over the place" errors on an X-Spot. As others have said, the errors, at face value, have no common components in the fixture . . . so I suspect an addressing error, or bad 2-phase card. You might want to try unplugging the 2 phase cards one at a time and trying to home the fixture . . . if/when you get to a bad one, all errors on components *but* on it should clear . . .

- Tim
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited November 2008
    i have also put the gobo modules in their wrong slot (gobo 2/iris) and (gobo 1/prisim) in the wrong slots and when the focus runs all the way down it hits against the color module and creates a nice assorment of errors. Check to see if this is happening, when it is homing you will see the focus slead slide the modules all the way down.
    edited November 2008
    TimMiller wrote:
    i have also put the gobo modules in their wrong slot (gobo 2/iris) and (gobo 1/prisim) in the wrong slots and when the focus runs all the way down it hits against the color module and creates a nice assorment of errors. Check to see if this is happening, when it is homing you will see the focus slead slide the modules all the way down.

That makes a lot of sense, since I think the CTB is the wheel closest to the sled, and that is one that he is getting errors on . . .

- Tim
    edited November 2008
    I agree, that is a good call,
    A good reference is that the module with 2 wheels, goes on the same side of the fixture that has the 2 phase card at the top next to the lens.
    Joshua Wood
    edited November 2008
    1. All wheels attempt to home
    2. The two phase cards start out blinking red and end up a combination of orange/green LEDs

The two phase card on the side with the larger square card lights up green/green/orange/orange on the top card and the one below it is all orange. The other side is green/orange/green/green on the top card and green/green/green/orange on the bottom one.

3. One of the rotating gobo wheels (the one with the bar litho in it which is on the bottom) seems to be getting caught on something. Perhaps the card that stops the color wheels.

It also looks like the wheels are really close to one another.

Mike
    edited November 2008
    Do the color wheel module center posts seat in the gobo module center posts?

Mike
    edited November 2008
    Okay so the modules were in wrong. I switched them. Now I still get:

ERR FCS2 EDGE NOT FOUND
    ERR CTO TAB NOT FOUND
    ERR ROT1 TAB NOT FOUND
    ERR ROT E TAB NOT FOUND

Yes the unit eventually gets around to saying X-Spot standard, then recycles through the error messages.

Mike
    edited November 2008
    Okay when I unplug the middle two phase card (on the side with three) all the errors except the CTO error go away. When I unplug the bottom card on that side the CTO error goes away, but I get a ROT1 and ROT2 error.

Mike
    edited November 2008
    Ok,
    Focus edge not found,
    one of the focus sensor is not reading,
    While the fixture is homing, does the gobo/iris sled move up and down?
    If not one of the focus motors has probably failed.
    CTO Tab not found
    CTO is not homing, and since the other 2 wheels that use that sensor are fine, the motor has probably failed.
    Rot 1 tab not found,
    The gobo 1 rotate sensor has either failed, or the motor has failed, thus the tab not being found.
    Does the gobo 1 rotate motor turn while homing? (wheel closest to the lamp)

Rot E tab not found,
    I believe this is the effect wheel, (2nd from the lamp)
    and it also is not finding the rotate sensor,
    does the rotate motor turn during homing?

Good Luck!
    Joshua Wood
    edited November 2008
    That sorta makes sense, except for the focus error.
    If you unplug the 2 phase card that is throwing the error, it won't post an error during homing.
    That is why the errors go away when you unplug specific cards.
    (Note: Don't hot patch these)
    I can't come up with a good reason as to why unplugging either of these cards would affect the focus error.
    Joshua Wood
    edited November 2008
    So basically I need to swap out motors and see if the problem follows the motor?

Mike
    edited November 2008
    You can start by turning the motor by hand with power off, and see if it seems stiff,
    Often the motors sieze when they fail.
    Otherwise,
    You can try swapping the offending sensor with another one inside the fixture.
    Or you can try swapping the 2 phase card.
    It could be any of those things,
    as a last resort, there is a small chance it is the actual wiring harness, but this is somewhat unlikely.

Joshua Wood
    edited November 2008
    Okay, the sled does not move.

So it appears we have a bad focus motor.

But then I just restarted it and no more FCS error. Hmmmm...

I switched the sensors on the effects wheel and the litho wheel that is with it (litho 2 wheel right?) and I still get both tab problems. So that seems like motor problems, right?

Mike
    edited November 2008
    I should quit posting until I finish my diagnostic tests.

Okay, so I switched sensors and the problem did not follow.

I switched the two phase board (the middle of the three and the bottom of the three) and the problem did not follow.

So it must be motor right?

Then, the FCS2 error appears to be intermittent, but I am not sure if that is diagnostic or not.

Mike
    edited November 2008
    I can't come up with a good reason as to why unplugging either of these cards would affect the focus error.

I had a card on a module once that was at god knows what address, and which was apparently replying on top of some other cards, and gave all kinds of fun like this . . . .

I am still curious, and I don't recall seeing my question answered, if the fixture comes up displaying "XSpot Standard" or something else, which would be indicative of it's not correctly recognizing one of it's modules.

- Tim
    edited November 2008
    Yeah *points up* it eventually gets to X-Spot Standard, then the version number, then the address, then repeats the errors.

Mike
    edited November 2008
    Esoteric wrote:
    Yeah *points up* it eventually gets to X-Spot Standard, then the version number, then the address, then repeats the errors.

Mike

Thanks. Didn't see that before, but it's clear as a bell now . . . oh well . . .

On the wheel that sticks, any idea what it is hanging up on? Does it still stick if you remove the module from the fixture? Depending on what is binding, it is possible that both the wheel rotation as well as gobo rotation might be sticking, and that might give both errors. What I have found is that if the wheels are put on the shaft without a wee bit of slop, the wheel rotate and gobo rotate functions can fight each other, in my case resulting in losing home, but possibly also causing a failure to find home outright. Check the module out of the fixture, and if the wheel still binds, try moving it out on the shaft just a wee bit and see if it frees up. I am curious as well as to what voltage you are seeing on the bus running to the two and three phase cards. Since the logic runs on a pretty low voltage, I think that could sag pretty far (thus giving the motors fits) before the logic noticed . . .

- Tim

- Tim
    edited November 2008
    Right, that is possible,
    Although the only time I have seen that happen is when my interlock switch came free, and was shorting against the frame intermittently.
    That was the hardest thing to find.
    every motor in the fixture had almost no strength.
    I agree, I would see if the motors feel bad, or pull the module and see if you can find what the module is sticking on.
    Off the top of my head, I believe the motor power supply on Xspot runs at 40 volts AC, in case you want to meter it.
    Let us know what you find out.
    Joshua Wood