future of wholehog 3

hi gents,
i have the feeling in germany ,are becoming less.when i talk to technicians more and more switsch to grand ma.wholehog is rarely.the wholehog 2 was overall , Or deceives? and when grandma 2 is commoing...vs wholehog 3...:hogsign:

greets dol
  • Well personally I think GrandMA blew a huge oportunity to truly re-invent themselves with their new "2" line. The things that stand out to me are:

- 256 universe limitation still on GMA-2.....better than the old 64 limit on th first line (H3 is virtually unlimited....you hit a fixture count limitation long before a processing limit....but that could probably be changed with software someday).

- GMA workflow is still VERY keystroke intensive and too many menus to sort through to be productive as a programmer with any kind of speed.

- price for a GMA-2 will buy 3....yes that's right 3 full Hog-3 desks....plus the Roadhog line is much less expensive than the smaller GMAs and you get more features per "equivalent" desks.

I could go on and on for ages on the differences and the advantages of one system over another....but overall the H3 line is clearly the best in my mind.

I personally think we will see the GMA line lose a lot if not all the ground it gained in the next 4 to 5 years....and companies that shell out for the new GMA-2s are being very shortsighted and will have their business eaten up by companies that invest in the FPS line.

Just my opinion though.....I'm sure others will differ.:hogsign:
  • Hi Marty,
    I am your opiniom,i see with sad eyes on events more gma1 .or is it so?how much there is in german hes?

greeds
  • Hello Doller,
    there are too less Wholehog consoles and that is why we are actively selling them...

But, don`t let this thread go in a stupid disscussion.

Most of the key operators are running Wholehog consoles including RoadHog FullBoar and I am convinced that we are on the right road.
    Additionally the number of console in Austria and Switzerland is growing.

So is it that the technicians that you speak to need to be educated on the Wholehog-line and get trained?

Just contact me and will arrange what you need.

With best regards,

Ruediger Haeming
    RSM South Central Europe
    Cell +49-160-96796698
    Mail ruediger.haeming@barco.com
  • Try putting the grand MA in the back of your car on your own ? then tell how much you like I will take the Hog 3 any day.
  • YEEES!!!!
    JAJAJA, I THINK THE SAME!
    I HAVE THIS SITUATION LAST WEEK
    i put my hog 3 back in my car..without problems..by myself.
  • This will obviously be a rather biased site to compare consoles with, but I think the original poster is correct in that the Grand MA is now the industry standard for what a console should be able to do. From what I notice, most large events and concerts use them these days with a smaller share going between the Maxxyz, Hog 3 and a few Jands Vistas and Avo Pearls.

I know from my standpoint that I enjoy using the Maxxyz that I had at my last job more then the Hog 3 system. Its unfortunate that the Maxxyz has so many hardware issues, as the OS is extremely powerful and provides a more powerful base in which to program quickly and easily.

I feel like the Hog 3 system is just a bit behind the curve really. The effects system is harder to figure out and use compared to other systems, and the menu system clings too much to the old way the Hog 2 does things. Its certainly not horrible but its still a bit clunky and weird in my opinion. I know the Hog is alot cheaper then many other consoles and such, but I don't think thats a viable excuse anymore, especially on large scale productions where cost isn't as important as functionality.

Seems to me that the two main directions that things are going is network expandability and extra features like visualization and remote focus and such. Grand MA seems to have the lead on both of the these avenues, as they are the leader in being able to network a whole system together (as referenced by the Olympics this year) and control a huge amount of lights and such from one location. The Hog system has begun going this direction, but it certainly is behind the curve (no Artnet even after every other modern console is there already). I would include being able to Sync consoles as something that makes the GrandMA a step ahead too.

I guess what I would like to hear is what is in the works for the Hog when it comes to this kind of stuff. I know Artnet control has been in the works for a while, but what of ACN and RDM and such? I haven't heard anything about current hardware being compatible with these protocols, but I might just be out of the loop. You can bet that the GrandMA 2 will be fully capable of this kind of stuff, especially with more lights will be coming online with this kind of stuff before too long.

I know the Hog 2 was a great console and had cornered the market while it was in its hayday, but in many ways the Hog 3 clings too closely to that system and in my opinion needs to move forward and branch away.

JH
  • or maybe in the future a new hardware wholehog 3 or 4 console flagschip??And Ruediger i have answer to your mail privat at promotion wholehog 3 , in the past ,no answer.

greeds
  • [quote=Marty Postma]Well personally I think GrandMA blew a huge oportunity to truly re-invent themselves with their new "2" line. The things that stand out to me are:

- 256 universe limitation still on GMA-2.....better than the old 64 limit on th first line (H3 is virtually unlimited....you hit a fixture count limitation long before a processing limit....but that could probably be changed with software someday).

- GMA workflow is still VERY keystroke intensive and too many menus to sort through to be productive as a programmer with any kind of speed.

- price for a GMA-2 will buy 3....yes that's right 3 full Hog-3 desks....plus the Roadhog line is much less expensive than the smaller GMAs and you get more features per "equivalent" desks.

I could go on and on for ages on the differences and the advantages of one system over another....but overall the H3 line is clearly the best in my mind.

I personally think we will see the GMA line lose a lot if not all the ground it gained in the next 4 to 5 years....and companies that shell out for the new GMA-2s are being very shortsighted and will have their business eaten up by companies that invest in the FPS line.

Just my opinion though.....I'm sure others will differ.:hogsign:

To right marty! I have done my GMA training,all it took was an hour or so at PLASA on the HOG 3 to convert me. The syntax, layout, look, output and GUI are all better than the MA. As for the Grandma 2, it weighs more than a fully grown man, weighing in at nearly 100kg! Thats a bit ott for a console do you not think? Now i would take a HOG console any day of the week over anything!

thanks
  • Nibor,
    Relax a bit,
    No reason to call people names,
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    I think most everyone here will allow that that the MA is a good desk.
    Most of us just prefer the Hog 3 to it.
    Joshua Wood
  • Nibor,

you should take a page out of Josh/ Electric Mayhem's book, and write replies like him: an articulate, reasoned explanation of his opinion, with suggestions of what he feels could or should be the next step for the Hog platform. To boot, he had the balls to do this not on a "neutral" forum like the Lightnetwork, but in a place where he might encounter rather hostile reactions ... and right away you show up and prove this point.

fact: all kinds of big tours, events and (semi)permanent perfomances use the GrandMA. and with good reason: the desk's big surge in popularity started out as a reaction to the cancellation of Hog II, while the Hog III wasn't "ready" yet - the issues with reliability and ease of use have been well-documented both here and on other forums. but MAs popularity has lasted, mostly because the platform offers great networkability, video/ media server options, pre-visualisation all within the same package. and because it has continued to be a stable, reliable control solution.
    in short, the MA team kept on top of the ball, and expanded on the desk in any way they could.
    I'm not a big fan of the MA's user interface, mind you, i prefer Hog over MA any day. But then I prefer Vista over Hog, so I'm sure you'll have something nasty to say about me as well...

but just because you don't see a lot of GrandMAs in your direct working invironment, doesn't mean that someone who does - and comments on this - is automatically "an industry F$%^#*(^ nit wit ". If nothing else, you make yourself out to be one...

In short, you're bang out of order here, mate, and you ought to apologise...
  • Yes, true made out of panzer tank parts, and ugly as sin, but one of the two most stable moving light consoles I've ever used (the other one being a virt).

[quote=nibor]Who ever thinks the Sad MA is an industry standard is an industry F$%^#*(^ nit wit
    I do a *** load of shows and I use a Hog 3 and only see IPC,Road Hog or full boars the MA is made out of old panzar tank parts and lead so take take M&*^%$# F(*&^%s
  • Hey, i love my Hog 3, cuz it perfect to my shows, but i can't say that right now it better then Grand MA...sorry.

The future is LEDs and Video screens/fixtures, the ability to conect to any davice on the net with any protocol and work it the better ways, the future is COLOURFUL, a console thet can't deal with this can't be on top.

Amir
    Danix.co.il
    Israel
  • [quote=nibor]Who ever thinks the Sad MA is an industry standard is an industry F$%^#*(^ nit wit
    I do a *** load of shows and I use a Hog 3 and only see IPC,Road Hog or full boars the MA is made out of old panzar tank parts and lead so take take M&*^%$# F(*&^%s

Im gonna agree with the fact that that is down right out of order. Just because we are HOG users, doesnt mean everything else is inferior. We should still show respect to whoever else wants to use an MA or anything else for that matter. We are all designers, programmers etc who want to achieve the best outcome for our show... an awesome one! In the 2008 olympics there where HOGs for the servers and MAs for the lighting, im sure they wernt on either side of the stadium throwing rocks at each other. They, im sure, will have still shown each other and thier equipment respect.
  • oh, real snappy comeback, there. be sure to enlighten us with more of your wisdom...
Related