custom content wont play, but will display in CMA correctly with thumbnail

Hello, I have been touring with an AXON Media Server running version 1.3.4 since april of 2008, and outputting custom content onto two 62'' plasmas.

Recently, the video card (ASUS HD2900XT) fried, and we had to pony up and purchase a new AXON Media Server. The one shipped to us is the new AXON with the SDI input. This server is running version 1.4.0

I deployed the custom content onto the new server, and everything is coming up on the correct DMX channels, but some content will freeze. The content will show up as a thumbnail in the Content Management Application, but when played on the main video output of the server will only display the first frame of the video file.

The wierd thing is that if I change the screen resolution of the media server while the video is "malfunctioning", it will play just fine once the resolution is changed. But once the show is run again, its back to the same old thing.

Please help. I am lost. even High End Tech support didn't know. I have a show tomorrow at 7pm. :dunno:

James Little
Technical Director
US Army Soldier Show
  • James,

The problem is most likely that the custom content was not encoded completely to the proper specifications. With version 1.4.0 we made a lot of improvements to functions like In/Out-frame selection and true network sync.

To achieve that, it is much more dependant on the proper encoding of the content. You can send upload a couple clips of content to us and we can verify that, however I'm almost certain this is going to be the issue unless the content just got physically corrupted when it was being loaded into the server.

First thing to do is check and make sure that your In-Frame is set to 0 and Out-Frame is set to 65535 so that it will then play the ENTIRE file and not try using in/out-frames at all. That might solve your issue.

As a last resort since you have a show tomorrow I would also suggest downgrading the software back to v1.3.4 so you can get through your show tomorrow and we can then help you get the content re-encoded afterwards.

A lot of us are currently out setting up LDI right now, but please call Support back and reference my post here so they'll know what direction to go in here to get you running again. I want to make sure that we have everything back up in time for your show tomorrow!

Scott
  • Hi James,

One other thing to look at, because it's a known bug in 1.4.0 (and was not in 1.3.4), is which playmode you are using to playback the content. If you are using "Play Once Forward Trigger Opacity", this will cause behaviour like you are seeing, with the movie only showing the first frame. If that is the case, there is a fairly easy work around. Use a set up cue for that layer to load the movie in "Media Mode Rewind", then when you want to play the movie, crossfade your opacity to full and at the same time set the play mode to "Media Mode Once Foward" but do not use the trigger opacity function. A bit confusing I realize, so if you need clarification, please let me know.

If you are not using the "Play Once Forward Trigger Opacity" play mode, then Scott most likely is correct that it is content related. As Scott suggested, since you are under a time crunch, the easiest thing to do at the moment would be downgrading back to version 1.3.4 (or even 1.3.7, as long as its pre-1.4.0).

You can find the older builds here:

highend.com/support/digital_lighting/dl2_software_archive.asp

Once you are done with the show, please send me an email directly and I can give you instructions for uploading some of your content to our FTP server so that we can take a look at it here and make sure that it's content related and you don't have bigger problems.

My email is matt (dot) schiefelbein (at) barco (dot) com.

If you need any immediate help with downgrading the server, please contact our supprt department and they can walk you through whatever you need.

Hope this helps,
  • I appreciate all of your help with this matter guys. Understanding that I am in a time crunch, I have downgraded the server to ver. 1.3.4 and the media is playing just fine. I am going to finish out the 3 weeks left of the tour this way, then I will work with the server in the off season. Once again thanks for your help with this, it is truly appreciated.

James Little
    Technical Director
    US Army Soldier Show
  • James,

Glad you're running again and please let us know once you've got a window and we'll be happy to look at the custom content for you to help you get it encoded properly if that is the issue.

Scott