blue screen o' death

So I got the blue screen of death this morning on my RoadHog. Just any thoughts on what this means would be great.

Console: RoadHog
Software Revision: 2.6.0 b2071
Image Version: 1.1.3

Description: Was booting up a new show, but lost power temporarily on the boot cycle. Console was on a UPS, so it kept running, but this showed up during the loading cycle. I did not see where in the cycle as I had stepped away from the console temporarily.

Thanks!
  • Hello and sorry for your troubles. I have a couple of questions for you.

1) Did you have any external wings or widgets plugged into the console when you lost power? If so, were they also on the UPS?

2) How does the console function after a power cycle?

3) Have you ever experienced a BSOD on this console before?

4) What type of UPS do you have?

At first glance it looks like you lost a hardware device/driver during the power transition to the UPS. I will perform some tests to see if I can reproduce this problem while I await your answers.

Cheers,
  • Patrick-

Another Patrick, pretty scary. Here's some answers.

1) No external wings or widgets.
    2) The console functioned perfectly after a power cycle. I am using it right now on a show..cross your fingers!
    3) I don't remember seeing this BSOD before. It may have happened, but I can't say I remember it at all.
    4) It's an APC Back-UPS ES 650

Thanks for the help.

-P
  • Alright, quick responses.

A stop check of 0x00.....F4 indicates that a critical process for the system quit or was terminated. Although I have not been able to reproduce this in the lab I am betting that during the transfer of power to the UPS that there was a power surge to the console. Meaning that the expected power needed by the motherboard (processor, RAM, Northbridge, etc.) or Hard Drive was below the allowed running current which then forced it to halt or lose information thus resulting in the dredfull BSOD. Since I have not been able to reproduce this in the lab using a different UPS my suggestion for you is to check your UPS and make sure that it is fully charged and that it is supplying the correct voltages needed when at fault. Hope this helped explain what happened.
  • Sounds good. That's what I figured too since the console seems to respond in check now. I mean, at least that the UPS was at fault. I certainly will test out the UPS in my time during the show.

Is there anything I can do (meter something, etc) to ensure the console didn't take a nasty spike of some sort and fry something critical that will die soon?
  • I would not worry too much as the power supply in the console is designed to act as a buffer to prevent system critical surges from damaging the motherboard. In other words the power supply would fry out before any damage could be caused to the motherboard or devices. There are some diagnostics you can run though to verify some of the devices. They are located in the control panel of Hog 3PC. They are basic functionality tests and verification tests. Just verify that the control surface still works as expected and that all of the FPS devices show up when you view the usb devices. In a Road Hog you should see a Road Hog Front Panel and a Super Widget Internal as usb devices. Thanks for posting to the forums as this serves as an information hub to all users. And please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Cheers,
Related