just wondering..........

snowmansnowman Registered User
we have got a few studio color 575's, and as the lighting crew usually dont get told anything before hand about whats happening were just about always busking.:Eyecrazy: Now thats fine because we have only got a small rig........anyway enought rambling about us, what im thinking is this:

we use a playback master (or two) to control the intensity of the studio colors and that fine, but when i want to flash them i doesnt work at all becouse when i push the flash button the shutter take 1/2 a second to open.......not really the effect you want. I was wondering if there is any easy way to control the strobe via a master basically so i can flash the light quickly and easily???:dunno:

Comments

• prmuchaprmucha Registered User
    edited October 2008
    From what I remember about the studio colors, there isn't a hard shutter like that of say a Mac700 that can be opened and closed like that. Also, I believe that they are just really slow fixtures. The console is making them work as fast as they will work (from what I remember).

So what I'm saying is that you cannot make a hard shutter movement like what you're describing. I know in the past that I've done something like an effect on the strobe at least to make it use the speed to make it look cool.....basically writing and effect on the intensity in a sine wave so that it closes and opens on the curve, using the speed for something.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Snowman,

The Studio Color uses an Iris as the dimmer so it is slow as you describe. You need to build your "flash" cues using the shutter. Set it to Closed SHutter with 100% intensity in a cue and then use another master to open the shutter...

You will be flashing away in no time.
  • snowmansnowman Registered User
    edited November 2008
    thanks brad,
    that works but i think ill stick to using the strobe on a palette, simply becouse what you suggested takes up two masters and with a H3PC and 1 playback wing we dont have too much room.
    thanks anyway
  • dollerdoller Registered User
    edited November 2008
    hi,
    you can two cues on one master.and in option-cuelist cue only and in master-click, go on flash .

greeds dol
    edited November 2008
    doller,
    that works really well!
    the only limitation that I see however is the speed that you can push the flash button, because your pushing it once for on and again for off so your flash rate is half the speed that your pushing the button. . .

my 2 cents anyway
    edited November 2008
    hi,
    you must the time in fade at 0 in the cuelist.

greeds dol
    edited November 2008
    or in options by cuelist, realese and back time at o and than you can flashed the stobe or random in the cues.

dol
    edited November 2008
    Let me clarify a bit,
    With a normal flash, you push the button for on and release it for off.
    With this method however, you push and release the button once to turn the shutter on and push and release again to turn the shutter off

very good idea though, works the best so far... ... ... ...
    edited November 2008
    hi you can this methode for faders too.click the same in options,
    when i make it for flash button i click faders at none.its ok than for rhytm by show push button the ml is strobe and when lost the button no rdm or strobe.
    hope this help you

dol
  • intrepidintrepid Registered User
    edited January 2009
    snowman wrote:
    Let me clarify a bit,
    With a normal flash, you push the button for on and release it for off.
    With this method however, you push and release the button once to turn the shutter on and push and release again to turn the shutter off

very good idea though, works the best so far... ... ... ...

If you don't want to push the button twice. Put a follow command in wait column of the shutter off que and set the flash on that master to flash and then release on release, with everything set to a fade time of 0.

so when you push the flash button down, it will fire the first cue, but then the second will immediately follow, and will stay that way till you release the button.

This should work, if you are trying to accomplish what I think you are trying to accomplish.

Or I could be completely off base :outtahere:

-- Ben