Intellabeam and shutter...

MoserLightingMoserLighting Registered User
edited December 2008 in Misc. Discussion
Hey Guys,

First off, I wanted to say I'm new to the boards and I'm looking forward to becoming active here! I recently purchased two used Intellabeams from ebay. The units work great except for the gobo wheels and shutter. As far as the gobo wheel is concerned, it seems like the gobo is never lined up with the beam, thus I always get a half gobo or something weird like that (it will skip over patterns and just show the half of the next gobo). Second, the shutter doesn't really work well at all to say the least. It goes back and forth and "flickers" instead of actually strobing. Sometimes it wont work at all. Lastly, the plastic gear parts for the iris are loose and I tried tightening the two allens but no avail.

Anyway these problems are on both units. Not sure if it is user error or something that may be sensors? Units are really clean inside so not sure. Thanks in advance!

Jason

Comments

• PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Welcome to the boards!

The I beams are pretty simple. For the gobo and shutter the bug is more than likely the motors and or the chips. Same goes for the iris as well except for the gears.

I suggest you contact Don Pugh @ lightparts.com. He has the parts to make your units whole again. There is no one better anywhere.:notworthy:
  • MoserLightingMoserLighting Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice! Seems like the thing to do is call lightparts. It just blows my mind why both units have trouble the gobos and shutters yet both units have perfect color wheels. Weird stuff but I will give them a call. Thanks again.

Jason
    edited October 2008
    Oh ya, is it possible to turn the lamps off from the controller to cool with the fans on before moving them? Couldn't figure it out. Thanks
    edited October 2008
    Ok so I figured out the problem is my controller. Weird but heres the scenario.

First off, when I control my MX-10's, it works perfectly and I have no issues. But when I hook it up to my Intellabeams, the shutter and the gobo wheels act really jittery. 90% of the time I can't get gobos to line up (stuck in between) and when I do 0 value, it normally is on some random gobo (instead of open). The shutter just plain goes crazy!

I then hooked up the Intellabeams to my friends DMX operator and they worked perfectly with no problems. I didn't change any settings on the lights.

So, I'm assuming its either something with the controller capatibility with the lights. I've never heard of this happening, especially to only a few features. Anyone have any insight as to what it could be? Thanks!
  • prmuchaprmucha Registered User
    edited October 2008
    What is the console that you are using?
    Have you tried using terminators? Sometimes the old lights enjoy when you use those.
  • snowmansnowman Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Oh ya, is it possible to turn the lamps off from the controller to cool with the fans on before moving them? Couldn't figure it out. Thanks

hi jason,
    to turn off the lamps click on "control" and then "lamp douse"

http://forums.highend.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1051&cat=500&ppuser=3953
    edited October 2008
    I am using the Martin Freekie. I have tried the terminator but no avail.

I'm waiting for my Light Jockey to show up in the mail but I don't always want to use it and thought maybe the freekie would be good for smaller shows.

As for the lamp dousing, is that in a specific controller that High End makes? Thanks guys for the replies!
  • PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Your LJ will run the heck out of anything. Love that unit.:D
    You ought to have a 2 univ dongle. Run the Martins in 1 univ, the HES in the other and see what happens.
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited October 2008
    If you are running DMX, the easy and simple way to get them to lamp off and cool themselves is to simply turn the controller off (don't send DMX). In about 5 minutes, they will lamp off, and the fans will run a cooling cycle and then the fans will shut down. Once that happens, pull power . . . .

From what I have seen, the lamp off function is only in the Lightwave protocol . . . I have never found a way to do it from DMX, but would love to have someone show me that I am wrong . . . . the DMX channel assignments and functions docs from HES don't even hint to lampoff in DMX, but yet my Hog fixture database claims to have it, but it does nothing . . . but rehome and other control channel functions work just fine.

- Tim
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Tim,

Are you running in 13 ch extended mode? What version firmware are your fixtures?
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Tim,

Are you running in 13 ch extended mode? What version firmware are your fixtures?

13 channel extended, and the latest the release - 4.11 if my memory serves correctly.

- Tim
  • chuckdillinghamchuckdillingham Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Could also be a Martin "pin swap" issue. Martin used to swap pins 2 & 3 on their gear in the old days, and that may be what is ailing you... this all seems like fairly recent gear, however, so who knows.... You might want to make a pin 2/3 swap adapter cable and try that to see if it solves your problems.