Road hog to Full Boar

Is there any upgrade kit available or in the pipeline for road hog users??
  • Mike,

What kind of upgrade kit are you looking for? The Road Hog is sold as a reduced console and the option for a full console is the Full Boar or a Wholehog 3. I am not sure what kind of upgrade you want, other than to turn your Road Hog into a Full Boar...

thanks,
  • I
    know that I would like to get an upgrade to enable just the networking. Is there any plans to make a middle console? Or is it just going from Roadhog - Full Boar - Hog 3. The networking will allow me to remote focus the rig. I don’t need artnet out, Hog net out (well maybe hog net). I do understand that it is a basic console and there has to be some limitations but, There is quiet a jump in price between the Roadhog and the full boar and is there that much hardware difference? It will give a new lease of life for the basic road hog as it can be a cheap backup console or tracking console.
  • I too would like to be able to use the networking capabilities of the FB to enable me to use a tablet/laptop as a remote focussing tool, a colleague has a vista S3 setup and i find it very useful to be able to roam wireless around the room to focus, especially in venues where not all the surfaces im projecting onto are not visible from the desk position!
    Also the option to use a laptop to take a backup show.
    I wouldnt need to use the ArtNet side of the networking.
  • To be honest, I am sure the hardware is similar,
    but the price difference isn't only reflecting the hardware, it is also reflecting the software functionality.
    The road hog was sold as an inexpensive console, but without some of the functions of the more expensive desks.
    That being said, they only way to "Upgrade" would be to sell the road hog and buy a full boar.
    I think the road hog is a very aggressively priced desk, and you get alot for the money, and I understand why they don't include some of the more advanced functions.
    If they did, who would buy the full boar, there has to be a clear distinction between the 2 desks. And then all the people that bought the full boar would be upset that the desk that they paid for is not much better than the desk for substantially less money.
    I do very much understand wanting to get "more for your money", but I also understand the reasoning on keeping those functions out of the road hog.

Of course, this is just my .02,
    Joshua Wood
  • What about the people who unfortunately bought the road hog a few months before the full boar was released, i would have potentially held out to get the full boar.
    It took me long enough to get the funds released for the road hog so to resell and buy the full boar is a long time coming,

I just feel you have similar priced desks ie the S3 with the function available and maybe even more, i appreciate there needs to be extra functions on the full boar i.e expansion wings, cd drive ArtNet etc but surely if it was priced accordingly the option of an upgrade on the road hog to network for the above reasons would be appealing to quite a few already road hog owners? its not going to take away the advantage of having the full boar for the ArtNet and all the other advantages?
  • Hi,
    I think being able to make a backup or copy of the current show via either networking or tracking console is a must for any console no matter what the price range.
    I don't see this as an advanced function and i don't think it should be part of any upgrade feature,it should be a standard in any console no matter where it is placed in the hierarchy of the available consoles.

Best C
  • Considering that the Road Hog replaced the Hog 500 / 1000 at very near the same price I completely understand why the FEW features of the Full Boar and the Hog III have not been included. At the time of the Road Hog release I worked for a company that had just purchased another Hog 1000. I would have been ecstatic if they had been able to purchase a Road Hog at current prices. Just the 2 touchscreens alone make it a much better value than the Hog 500/1000. Not to mention the Wholehog OS completly compatible with Hog 3,IPC and Full Boar, saving to a USB and a internal hard drive and 2 more universes. If you really must have the networking features and the expanablity of the Full Boar purchase the Road Hog wings and add an internal widget. That will keep you budget lower and allow you to expand later. Road Hogs have been marketed from the start as a console that is not capeable of expansion. They have even budged a little bit adding support for a 3rd monitor. I cant fault High End in the Road Hog at all. It is an entry level Professional Desk at an incredable price a good place to start for lots of churches, schools, smaller theatres and production companies. I would have gladly excepted a Road Hog for every Hog 2/Hog 500 or 1000 that I have gotten in the past few years.
  • I think that everybody understands, and agrees that for the price you pay for a Roadhog it's a killer board for the money you spend. And is probably THE most cost effective console out there!.. I don't think when people say they want an upgrade, that they not would want to pay for it..
    - i think most of the people that says it would be nice with an upgrade, say so becaouse they feel they was kept a little in the dark from Hes with the releases.. -I know that a lot of people got pretty upset with the way the RH and the RHFB was released.. Everything would have been great, and none would have complained if Hes just had released them together..and I personally think it was a big mistake not to..

-On the other hand, i think that the RH and the FB is two super products that fits nice into two segments. and i think its great to be able to choose.. (unfortunately people couldn't choose in the beginning, and that made some people that bought RH's a bit upset.)
  • I totally agree with the fact the desk is extremely brilliant value for money and is a powerful console, the fact it superceeds the hog 1000 which was a desk created many years ago doesnt mean to say the door for possible upgrades should be slammed shut!!!!!
    In the current market place there are a lot of players bringing different cards to the table, listening to customers, providing for the demand!
    Vista and Martin are true examples of this, they are providing add on seperates if you like to make them very versatile systems.
    I feel if HES were to listen to peoples wants and needs and maybe give the option at a price of upgrading the RH to be able to network it would be a very good decision not to mention a new selling point for one of the best desks on the marketplace!
    Why should the people who put there faith in the RH so quick to then see a few months later the RHFB come out to play have the only option of selling and rebuying in order to take some of the extra functions.
  • For me, the decision to buy 2 RH's instead of RHFB's was an easy one. These were going into permanent locations that would NEVER go above the 4 Universe limit of the RH. No timecode or midi control was needed. We already have a H3 in one location and a Hog3PC/Wysiwyg suite in another location bringing us to 4 locations with Hogs. I knew the features we were leaving behind.

That being said, the one feature I would have really like to had would be the networking option. Not from the standpoint of being able to add DP's, but from the standpoint of logging in a client on Hog3PC for remote focus and utilizing the network drive save feature. Other than that, I completely accepted what I was losing from the RHFB down to the RH.

Would this be something a USB to ethernet adaptor would fit into? Possibly. Would there be a way to add network drive/client function and still lockout being able to add DP's? That's for the networking guru's.

I don't regret my decision for RH's...love the consoles. I couldn't justify the price of the RHFB for my situation. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents (or 1/2 cent in today's economy) as to what I would like as an ADD-ON. Just as the case of the IOGEAR USB to VGA adaptor...this should be an ADD-ON, not an included item. I love the a la carte idea of the Roadhog. This way people could decide what they wanted to add (wings, widgets, networking, external monitor...etc. etc. etc.).

Thanks!
  • This thread is certainly interesting and the inputs of all of you will be noted and considered. However please also realize that the console market is a big one and the opinions in this thread do not necessarily represent all those in the industry. We listen to input from users via many methods.

We do listen very carefully to all our customers and implement features, enhancements, and upgrades by studying many factors. We appreciate all your comments and encourage you to continue to tell us what you like, what you don't like, and what you want.

thanks for your understanding,
  • I appreciate that the view of a handful of people isnt enough to influence a decision but i am sure if you were to put this out as a possible option pending demand there would be a very positive response,

The idea of making the desk possible to remote focus and giving an option of a tracking backup would appeal to many im certain
  • I agree.. much like the low end MA desks, there is networking which can only be used for remote focus, backup pc, and connection to pc visualisers, but not the ability to connect to other desks or nodes.

This is defiantly something i would consider as these small functions are so useful. I dont need extra universes but i sure would like remote focus and tracking.
  • doing some digging on the forums and there seems to be already a lot of interest in the option to add networking for remote focus.

Mike
Related