Urgent Dl.3 problem

Hi everyone, we are currently using 4 Dl.3 for the second time and now when I try to use CMA no dl.3 show up. We are running lastest cma version and dl3 version.

Another question, Cam the ethernet port "die"? I mean first time we used them we lost contact right on the show of 2 dl.3, never got ethernet to work back on them and they were Brand new, In the box.

Anthony
  • Hi Anthony,

The likelyhood that your ethernet port "died" is very low, unless it is the one on your CMA computer. I can see one possibly going bad, but not serveral at the same time.

A few questions:

1) Are you using the CMA on a PC or a Mac?

2) If on a PC, do you have all of your firewalls turned off? This includes the Windows firewall and any other one that might be installed (I know programs such as AOL have their own firewall)

3) If on a Mac, do you have your wireless internet and bluetooth turned off?

4) What is your network set up? Are you just using a switch to connect everything together, or is it more complicated than that?
  • Hi Matt

We are using PC Version of Cma And all Firewall are off. Our network set up is with a switch to connect them.

EDIT:Is there a specific IP to give to our computer for cma?
  • Are you running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Have you double checked to make sure all of the ethernet cables are good? It doesn't take a lot of abuse to kill a Cat 5 cable.

Also, is you CMA computer set up to run DHCP, or is it possibly set to a static IP address?

One thing you might want to try is pinging a fixture on the network. To do this:

1) Get the IP address from one of your DL.3s. You can see this under the INFO --> VERSION tab in the menu of the DL.3.
    2) Go to "Start" --> Run...
    3) Type in "cmd" and then hit enter
    4) In the window that pops up, type "ping (ip address of your fixture)" without the brackets
    5) If the network is good, you should see something like this:

"Pinging 169.254.43.109 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 169.254.43.109: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
    Reply from 169.254.43.109: bytes=32 time

Ping statistics for 169.254.43.109:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 0ms"

If you see anything else, then likely you have a network problem (bad switch, bad cable, etc).

If you have the gear available, try the ping and let us know the results.
  • I don't have the dl.3 with me right now. Ill post back tonight about them.

But still With the ethernet port, 2 of our dl.3 don't answer at all we did test and nothing work with them, Is there a fuse or something for those plug to check? Or a resistance?
  • There is no fuse. About the only way that you can check the port is to pull the computer out of the DL.3 base, leave all of the wires connected, and see if the link lights on the ethernet port on the computer itself are lit. Keep in mind that if these lights are not lit, it doesn't necessarily mean a bad etherport. It could still be a bad cable.

Also, one thing you can do, is take the network cables that you have running to your switch and plug these directly into the computer itself rather than the back panel of the DL.3. It's possible that somehow the harness that jumps the ethernet signal from the back panel to the computer could be damaged/bad.

Regards,
  • So beside using cmd i should check the motherboard interne ethernet connection? Plus normal or cross ethernet or it dosent matter?
  • Normal or crossed cables DO matter for many switches.

Rule of thumb:

- For direct device to device connections use crossed cables
    - For device connections passing through a switch used straight/normal cables.

There are many switches out there that can "sense" the type of cable you have connected and can then adjust to the proper settings, but this is not universal....so I always follow the above rule of thumb.

As for your issue....the first thing I would try is use a crossed cable to connect to your DL.3s individually to your CMA computer....this will tell you right away if the the problem is in your network or in your fixtures.......my experience has been that 99% of the time the probelm is in the network.....usually a physical issue (bad cable, wrong type, etc).

Hope this helps:)
  • Okay Everyone,

I tryed everything plus the ethernet internal port on the computer motherboard and it won't work. Like I said in my first post they are really new factory date is june 28 and since then i don't think 2 of them everworked, I'm probably sure that it a Factory problem. :) Thanks for help!
  • 2 quick questions....

1 - are you using a crossed cable to go directly from the DL.3 computer to the CMA computer (make sure the DL.3 computer is still hooked up to all the other wires inside, or it will not boot/operate properly)

2 - Have you tried more than one CMA computer to rule out the port or config on the computer. (I would recommend a PC for this....the new MAC version should be fine....but depending on what MAC you have it might be an issue)
  • We tryed crossed cable and normal one to go directly from the dl.3 to the computer

We are using A pc and we tryed with 2 laptop. Nothing work.