Focusing for Gobos vs positions

I'm kind of confused about the focus parameter. I update the focus in each of my position palettes. But during a show if I use a gobo, it's not in focus, so I started also updating the focus in my gobo palettes. But this doesn't seem to work.
What is the best way to make sure you've always got a sharp beam and sharp gobos?

Also, In the control panel - what happens if you select 'record focus parameters seperate?"

thanks!
  • Hi john,
    When recording palettes for gobos i sometimes create a palette in the beam directory that might include
    Hard Focus gobo Wheel 1
    Soft Focus gobo Wheel 1
    Hard Focus gobo Wheel 2
    Soft Focus gobo Wheel 2

I use these palettes when programming so i only have to update the 4 pallettes rather than every gobo every day
    Remember that if your fixture has a zoom lens option this is also going to affect the appearance of the gobo.
    So again maybe record some pallettes
    tight zoom
    50% zoom
    wide zoom

These would then be updated as required.
    Others may have different options of getting to the same point,

best C
  • ok, that sounds good. But does the focus parameter operate on LTP? and if so does your method work if you've selected a gobo and then changed position...wouldn't the focus in the position take over the focus parameter and make the gobo no longer in focus?
  • Hi j,
    I suggest recording the gobo focus information in the "BEAM" pallette.
    I would keep my pan and tilt information in the "FOCUS" pallette.

if your running the console in tracking mode the gobo information stored in the first cue with gobo information should in a normal situation track thru the cue's until that information is changed or overidden by another cue or cue-list.

Do not confuse focus (pan/tilit) with gobo focus (sharp or soft edge) they are not the same thing.

Best C
  • I'm not confusing pan/tilt with focus. I'm talking about how the console handles the parameter of 'focus' not pan/tilt. I make all of my pan/tilt positions to include a hard edge using the 'focus' paramter. but I also try to focus my gobos so the image is sharp as well.
    I'm wondering how the console handles this, it doesn't seem to always keep the gobo sharp after using a position with open gobo.
  • Hi j,
    Sometimes with large amounts of fixtures or groups of new and old fixtures you may have to have individually focus each fixture rather than grabbing all fixtures and trying to focus a sharp image.
    Is it possible that different pan and tilt postions may require different gobo focus pallettes depending on where the fixture is pointed in your set-up.

Best C
  • Also a nice sharp focus on the Open position of the gobo wheel will not usually equal a sharp focus on a gobo itself.

Focus is an LTP parameter. Going from a Position that has a sharp focus on the open gobo position to a new look with a gobo, the gobo will require a new focus for it to look sharp usually. Also the Zoom parameter will play in this as well. A gobo focused nicely at one zoom value will not necessarily equal a nice focus with a different zoom value.

I may not be understanding your problem exactly so if not, please explain in as much detail as possible.
Related