How to copy values from 1 cue to 8 different lists

I'm trying to figure out how to copy all the values from a cue to 8 different cues on 8 different lists. Each list has the exact same fixtures with different user numbers. I need to find the most efficient way to do this as I have 100 cues that need their values transferred to the 8 different lists. Also the show is running 24/7 so everything has to be done in blind.
  • Hello Scott-
    I spoke with you yesterday when we cleaned up the copying syntax between multiple fixture types. While that will still work, I think I have a faster option for you.

Here’s the short explanation: Since your physical sets each have the exact same plot (and I think you have 9 sets total, but edit for your actual count), you can replicate your existing fixtures 8 times and then make 8 copies of your original cuelist. At that point, you will have 9 lists containing all of the fixtures from all sets doing the exact same programming. As you want them to be separated, you’ll need to remove the fixtures you don’t want from each list, and keep only the ones you want in each different list (one cuelist for each set). This is a little complicated to explain in text or even over the phone, so I’ll try and explain in more detail below. Before you begin, I would highly recommend making a backup of your showfile in case you make a mistake.

Here's the long explanation: To make this a little easier to understand, let’s pretend that you simply have 10 desk channels on each set, and you’ve already programmed the 100 cues for the fixtures on set #1, in cuelist 1. At this point, you will open your FIXTURE window and select the programmed desk channels (let’s call them user numbers 1 thru 10), and then press “REPLICATE FIXTURES.” You will then have 10 more desk channels that will be copies of the original 10 (by default, they will be numbered 11 thru 20). At this point you will want to patch them. Now, because you still have seven more sets to add in, you will want to select the original 10 desk channels and replicate again. Replicate until you have the desired number of copies and patch each to their own individual address.

After doing this, your original cuelist (list 1) will contain information for all fixtures on all 8 sets. This is still not exactly what you want as you want to be able to call up a cue’s look for an individual set exclusive of the others. So, I would suggest copying this original list 8 times. You can copy to a master or to the cuelist directory: whatever your preference. These copied lists will (eventually) represent each one of your distinct sets. I would take this time to label each cuelist to specify which set you would like each list to control. That will make organization much easier. Now what you need to do is remove the unwanted fixtures from each list. In other words, presume cuelist 1 will represent “set 1” and cuelist 2 will represent “set 2.” So- in cuelist 1, you need to remove all of the fixtures from sets 2 thru 9 and in cuelist 2, you need remove sets 1 and sets 3 thru 9. You can do this with the RECORD REMOVE functionality of the console.

Again, for simplicity, let’s say you want to keep the programming for fixtures 1 thru 10 in cuelist 1, but remove fixtures 11 thru 20. In your programmer, select only the fixtures you want to remove (11- 20… or use your GROUPS) and press touch. This will put values on your parameters. When using RECORD REMOVE, you need to have values on the attributes you want to remove. It doesn’t matter what the numeric value is, it just needs to be touched in the programmer. Now, because you also have effects in your cuelists, you’ll need to get an effect parameter in the programmer as well. You could simply touch any applicable effect from the directory or go into the “Table” section of the programmer and add an effect using the in-place editor. Now, you are ready to remove. So, you will press RECORD, select “REMOVE” from the toolbar and then key in the cue numbers that you want the fixtures removed from. For example, I could type RECORD REMOVE 1 THRU 100 ENTER. (Keep in mind if the cuelist is not on the currently chosen master, you will need to be more specific: RECORD REMOVE LIST 1 CUE 1 THRU 100 ENTER). If you’re not sure, always go with the more specific syntax.

If you’ve done that correctly, then you have successfully removed the unwanted fixtures. Now, you can go on to the next cuelist and remove the unwanted fixtures from that cuelist, and so on and so on. What you’ll end up with is the exact same programming for every fixture on every set according to what you programmed in the original cuelist of the original set. Cue 5 on Set 1 will look exactly the same as it does on Set 2, 3, 4, etc… but you can play cue 5 of any one set at any time, independent of the other sets.
    The option described above is taking the opposite idea of copying values from fixture to fixture. Either will work. You’ll want to decide if it is faster for you to copy from the original fixtures to the new ones, or if it is faster to replicate and simply remove the extra information. In other words, is it easier to add, or is it easier to subtract? Again, either method will work.

Like I said, this process is tough to explain over text or by phone. If I was walking you through on site, this would seem incredibly easy. The description will most likely make this task seem harder than it actually is. If you’d feel more comfortable, try this method in a copy of your showfile in Hog3PC offline. That way, you won’t be affecting the original showfile, and you don’t have to worry about changing a look live on stage while filming if you make a mistake.

If you’re still unsure of this, contact me directly via the information below.
    Thanks
Related