Hog3 PC with midi

HgSiegenthalerHgSiegenthaler Registered User, Hog Beta
Hi there
I like to use the midi to control the hog3 PC.
Is this working wit a normal PC midi interface or just with a FP MIDI USB Widget?
Cheers
Hg

Comments

• bellonsbellons Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2008
    I'm not aware of any MIDI usb widget.
    I reckon any midi interface that can be installed on your computer works just fine with Hog3pc.
    Marco:hogsign:
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited August 2008
    You need to be able to send MSC commands to any Hog O/S based console.....MIDI notes will not work without something to translate to MSC.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2008
    HG,

As Marty says you can use MIDI Show Control (MSC) commands to trigger Hog 3PC. You can also send MSC commands as well as any MIDI system exlcusive commands (including NOTES) via cuelist macros.

For your Hog 3PC computer, you will need a MIDI card or USB MIDI device such as the 1x1 or 2x2 (or other models) from M-Audto: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=midiinterfaces

You can buy these USB devices at many computer or music stores and lots of on-line retailers.
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited August 2008
    Hg,

I use a MIDI Event Processor between the MIDI source and the HOG console.

I program it to map notes to MIDI SysEx commands.
    Ex:
    Note C ON maps to a GO for Cuelist 1
    Note C OFF maps to a RELEASE for Cuelist 1

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

"Cool as a moose"
    Cat
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited August 2008
    Hi Chris,
    Can you expalin how you route your MSC to FOH console or do you have a console at FOH in your set-up
    I am trying to design a system and have got to the point where i would have MSC onstage and have read of several methods of routing MSC but am not clear as to the most direct and effective route.
    If i had a networked consoles in place would both consoles see MSC or or is that not the case,my idea being one console onstage one at FOH?
    Do you need to boost MSC signal if it is going to FOH or over a certain distance.

Any help appreciated
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Cormac,

If you have multiple consoles on a network, then you can plug in the MSC to any console on the network. Then you simply specify that console to be the MSC Source for any other networked console......same goes for LTC/SMPTE.

Hope this helps:)
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited August 2008
    Cormac,

In our setup the source of MIDI is from the audio guys located next to the lighting console in the FOH.

Marty has already pointed out that you can do it via 2 consoles.

I have not wortked with MIDI over distances, but there seem to lots of MIDI devices for long distances (google it), if that is your preferred method.

"Cool as a moose"
    Cat
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2008
    I have never used this nor anyone who has, but this is a wireless midi solution:
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MidAir-main.html

Of course this unit claims up to 30 feet so that is really not that long a distance... but it could be worth a try depending upon your needs.