Self-assigned IP's and Sync

Someone asked me if the Sync function would still work if the DL-3's had self-assigned IP's on a Gigabit Swtich. Would it work or should they get a hub with a DHCP server to put on the network?

Thanks!
  • Hi Andrew,

Network Sync will function with self-assigned IP address or using DHCP addresses with a router.

The two most important things for sync functionality are making sure that all of the Fixture IDs are unique (these are used in the "Sync to" setting when programming) and that the content is properly encoded using all I-Frames.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
  • Thanks Matt. Got one more question for you...

Would a laptop with a manually set IP with the same IP scheme (but of course a unique address) be able to run the CMA and see the DL's in my original scenario?
  • Drew,

That should work, you just have to be careful that you have something unique.
  • Matt/Scott

is a gigabit switch required/recommended? I just did a show with content that was downloaded from the net, resized to 1024x768 in quicktime pro, and mpeg-2 compressed as listed EXACTLY on the HES site for Episode (on a Mac).

Setup was simply 2 DL3s on a truss doing a 2x1 collage on a cyc.
    DHCP router assigning IPs, and a 10/100 5port switch on the truss between units. Later, I added an axon on the floor, and networked in that also.
    All current software.
    All unique numbers on CMA
    using Full Boar to control

Problem was, when I turned on the sync to and sync functions (correctly), the video from the "slave" DL3 became jumpy. I also had no control at all over "play speed", whereas when I turned off the sync I had control over play speed and nothing was jumpy.
    when I selected the Axon to be the "master" both DLs had jumpy issues.
    and when syncing between the Axon and one of the DL3s, there were some files I had no sync at all. I ended up with what I believe to be one bad server in the DL3, because even out of sync the jump became progressively worse, and unfortunately cant tell if having that unit on the network was causing the issues. It seems like either the files were playing at very different speeds on different units, or data was not moving fast enough (hence the gigabit question). I also noticed on the unit I believe to be "bad" that the issue got progressively worse the more I left it on, and the more I manipulated it the content.

I'm leaning towards issues with the content, but am curious what steps I could have taken being that I followed HES instructions. Is there a program/way to thoroughly check correct I-frame encoding or DL3 clock? I found the "scrub inframe with stats" and have MANY questions about how this screen can help me. . .

And the gigabit switch question. . yes/no?

Also,
    what is "jitr"? ?? !? !?!

I did perform a "rescue/recovery" using the external CDROM and the iso from the HES website, on the "bad" unit, but to no avail.
  • Hi,
    Im new here and I just started on a show with 12 DL3's. we just had an issue where the DHCP router we were using lost power and so the DL3's lost their DHCP IP address. we ended up having to to a hard reset on the fixtures to get them to renew their IP address, and i was wondering since i came from an IT background if there was a way to manually enter the IP address in the XP embedded system so we wouldn't have this problem if we ever lost power to the router again?

thanks in advance.
  • Currently there is no way to assign an IP.
    I doubt that this functionality will be added since it does affect how multiple units "talk"....master assignment etc....

You need either:
    1 - a DHCP router
    or
    2- a console capable of working in the auto assigned IP range (like the Hog-3 based desks). Thereby eliminating the need for DHCP.

Hope this helps. :)