Roadhog Hard Drive

prmuchaprmucha Registered User
I was curious, more for replacement sake, what the specs on the RoadHog hard drive are. I'm not experiencing any problems yet, however, I just wanted to be thinking about the future. Do I need a specific size and model? Can I just head to Best Buy and buy myself any old one as long as it's IDE or SCSI or whatever it is?

Thanks!

Comments

• bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Patrick,

You should have no problems, but yes it is good to always "be prepared". The drive we ship with is currently a Seagate 7200RPM 80G IDE. Some earlier Road Hogs shipped with the same drive in the 40G configuration, but that drive is no longer available so we now use the 80G.

For reference, the Road Hog Full Boar ships with a Barracuda (Seagate) 80G SATA drive.
  • prmuchaprmucha Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Brad-

Here's what one of my fellow tech's said on a show he recently was on.

". . . at the beginning of the day the hard drive was making a louder than normal clicking sound as it was writing information to it. It happened about three times at around 15 minute intervals."

What do you think it could be? Sounds like the HD could be going bad.

I had sent you my serial numbers a several days ago in respect to cables falling out of the touchscreens and sometimes out of the motherboard. So you should be able to pull them up I think.
    edited August 2008
    Brad-

Any thoughts on that HD issue?
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited August 2008
    It sounds to me like your console got some unusually rough handling. I would give the whole thing a very thorough inspection inside and out to make sure nothing else is going to give you a problem later on.....you will have to make the call yourself if it is worth it to replace the HDD now, or wait for it to potentially fail later depending on how bad that noise is.....I would check the shock mount for the drive and make sure nothing is loose there.

I would have a chat with the support team to determine if you havea real issue or not.
    edited August 2008
    I'm probably going to have a chat or two with them, but it's nothing we can replicate in the shop of course. Could have been a fluke really. I heard it only happened that one time and then all was good, so not sure.

Either way, I'm going to leave the replacement up to the higher-ups. We're trying to use the HDD a lot, get it working, and see if we can replicate it. If not, we're going to say it's good for the time being I'm sure.
  • edited August 2008
    It's worth opening up the console and making sure the cables are properly routed. If a cable touches one of the fans, it can make some interesting noises.
    edited August 2008
    Eric-

Oh we've certainly tried that. Nothing (of course when it got back to the shop) was near the CPU fan or other moving parts. To be frank, we have had some major issues with wires hitting the CPU fan. At least once a few months we are opening it to move those wires or to reseat the touchscreen cables, or to just pull them back again so they don't bump other things.