MIDI/Time code help on Hog3

Yoel TYoel T Registered User
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows of any tutorials or forums to get me started on how to do MIDI or Time Code on the Hog 3 software. I am completely new to the MIDI and Time Code approach to programing and want to learn more on it. The church I work for is wanting to sync up Pro Tools with Video and Lighting. Ive heard that Pro Tools can send an MSC signal. Does anyone have any knowledge on how to go about this, or have done such a thing? Or sync to video through Time Code?
Any help in this area will be most appreciated.

Thanks
Yoel

Comments

• MitchMitch Registered User, HES Staff
    edited July 2008
    Hello, I do not know anything about Pro Tools but you will probably have a bigger learning curve on that end that the Hog end. In a simplified explanation, MSC will send three pieces of information, Device ID, Cuelist Number, and Cue Number to the lighting console. Each device or console in the system will get a unique Device ID so you can isolate each device to send commands.

You will program the console as normal. Starting on Page 297 of the Hog 3 manual starts the explanation of using MSC with the Hog consoles.

From Pro Tools you will enter the info for what Device ID, Cuelist Number and Cue Number to play.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited July 2008
    You might have an easier time using timecode out of ProTools instead of MSC.

If you utilize the timecode, you can build your list as normal. Once ProTools is ready to output, you can turn on LEARN TIMING on your cuelist and tap through as ProTools rolls. Once it's done, turn off LEARN TIMING, turn on timecode and run from there.

There's plenty of options with this...it all depends on what you're looking for in the automation side of things.
  • Yoel TYoel T Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Wow, thanks a lot guys. That's definitely a great start for me. I guess timecode sounds like the easier thing to go, and just what I might be looking for. Because it needs to come from Pro Tools.
    Just to be sure. I'm running a Hog3 PC, all I would need is the DMX LTC widget right?
    So it would be a normal 3 pin out put that's providing timecode, coming out of Pro Tools in to the LTC, right?

Thank you
  • MitchMitch Registered User, HES Staff
    edited July 2008
    Hello, yes you will need a LTC Widget. The DMX widget is different from the LTC Widget. It receives signal via a 3 pin XLR connector.
    edited July 2008
    Yea, sorry about that. I meant to say USB LTC Widget. Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it.
  • dslodkidslodki Registered User
    edited July 2008
    This is my caveat with the LTC widget...it's best to get your timecode from a source that has a gain control, I've found on numerous occasions that the timecode input to the LTC Widget needs to be amplified for it run smoothly and properly.
    (And there maybe an issue with a ground fault and timecode, if it runs unevenly, try making sure that your system and the timecode system are using the same power source. I don't think this is LTC Widget related, I've heard about jumpy timecode from some motion control camera guys, too)
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited July 2008
    Dave's point about gain control is important. Think of LTC as an audio signal. On the receiving end the widget needs to convert the audio into time. Having the level in the right range makes a big difference. Being right on the edge will cause intermittent drops. And probably not until right before showtime!

With gain, you can drop it until it stops (make a note) and turn it up until it stops (note it again) and then set it in the middle of that range.

"Cool as a moose"
    Cat
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited July 2008
    If you have it in your budget, try and pick up a Brainstorm SR-26.

http://www.brainstormtime.com/sr26.php

They are a great device to help "clean up" any weird SMPTE issues also.
    edited July 2008
    I don't think that I might run in to the gain issue. We will be using Pro Tools to provide our timecode source. But I will definitely keep that in mind if I encounter any issues with level.