is there a possibilty of making a converter for....

... DMX to LWP.

Why, you ask? Well, some of the venues I was in last year had HES fixtures that were running off of LWP.

Instead of being difficult and making the house guys swap dip switches, I just ran them off the old I-beam controllers, using whatever crap programs they had (except once venue where the programming was so bad i shut the Technobeams off).

Plus, in one venue, just accessing the trackspots would ahve taken more time than i had available to do the swap.

If it's possible to make a DMX to LWP converter, then i could just plug in and go- just like my DMX to AMX converter for those ancient venues that still use those.

is it even possible to create such a device?

How to the T-Spots, I-beams, etc read data signal? Do they run off of DMX when in DMX mode, LWP when in LWP mode, or do they convert one format to the other to drive the fixture?
  • [quote=chris_litz]I've never heard of a converter like the one you're looking for. You'll be better off changing the dip switches to run them on DMX. Let us know if you need help.
    Me neither. Only thing I can remember is a converter for Emulators to run DMX.
    Unless a LWP control device is the only thing you have it really makes no sense to not run DMX.
    :stooges: I think the word stupid comes to mind but I'll be nice and not say it. It's 2008, get with the program. What you can do now a days via DMX is fantastic and it gets bigger every day.
  • as Brad states in the following post (forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=5358) you could use a Hog 2 to output dmx and lwr but I have never tied it. The more important question is WHY havent the house's gone out and gotten some type of DMX controller made in the last 10 years.
  • [quote=leebot]as Brad states in the following post (forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=5358) you could use a Hog 2 to output dmx and lwr but I have never tied it. The more important question is WHY havent the house's gone out and gotten some type of DMX controller made in the last 10 years.

Actually, the main thing Brad noted in that thread is that that capability has not been in Hog 2 for a very long time - it was only in the very early releases, which, if you could even find, you probably would not want . . .

These guys just need to be coerced into an "accident" with their LWP controllers, and get with the times when they replace them . . .

- Tim
  • [quote=tadawson]

These guys just need to be coerced into an "accident" with their LWP controllers, and get with the times when they replace them . . .

- Tim

I tend to agree...

but then again, I ran into four venues that had 30 year old 10v analog boards, one whose fkn controller used DIALS instead of faders, and, the biggest insult of all, i was given an X-10 remote control and told that it turns on "THE" light (one 26 degree Source 4 was the entire lighting rig in that room)

no, there s currently no device that does this- I'm asking if it's possible to create one.
  • now that i think about it, once venue had the 400 watt Intellabeams that are [i]not dmx capable[/i], they're LWP only.

i haven't seen any of those since 1997...
  • My memory is very foggy on this, but I think there used to be a converter that would take DMX in and talk to old Color Pro and Intellabeam fixtures in place of the LCD/LED controllers. We are talking circa 1992-1995. Does this ring any bells for anyone else?
Related