Benefit to Hog III over Full Boar?

prmuchaprmucha Registered User
edited October 2008 in Wholehog 3 General Discussion
Can someone tell me the benefits of a Hog III versus a full boar? From what I can read, the only major difference that would set the Hog III ahead would be the possiblity of more than 8 universes of ArtNet.

The Full Boar, on the other hand, has the 4 universes on board (expandable with the widget to 8) so I don't necessarily always need a DP,
USB drive, and ArtNet connector on board (so I wouldn't have to get a DP 8000 just to drive ArtNet). It seems it has the upper hand.

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2008
    you should really look at this thread....

http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=5284
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited June 2008
    Hi Patrick,
    get a Full Boar if you have a choice.
    Hog III consoles with the DP's are not anywhere near as responsive as the other HE consoles.
    This may change with the new DP-8000 release at some point this year.
    This is my opinion only and others will have differing points of view.

Regards Cormac
  • lightkidlightkid Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Second that!
  • dollerdoller Registered User
    edited June 2008
    hi ,is the wholehog 3 console with dp really slow as full boar, i have not the compare??

dol
  • stephenwykerstephenwyker Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited July 2008
    This makes me think I am not crazy- I was using a FB over the weekend with a massive amount of LEDs and no lag whatsoever... even when changing efx and such ... just for the heck of it to copy the show to my H3, and it was horable. I had to blind just to get it to respond.
    edited July 2008
    Hopefully all this gets fixed with the new DP-8000.....the DP-2000 are really the biggest handicap/bottleneck to the system at this point.
  • dollerdoller Registered User
    edited July 2008
    yes ,and onlyeverybody cannot get a dp8000 and what iz would probably cost???and is dp8000 connected to full boar?

dol
    edited July 2008
    doller wrote:
    and is dp8000 connected to full boar?

Yes you can connect any DP to the Full Boar.
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited October 2008
    The HOG 3 has bigger touchscreen doesnt it? Also has a timing wheel...
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited October 2008
    Joe, I thought the screens were bigger too...until the handy dandy tape measure proved me wrong.
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Well ill be... They dont half look bigger, oh well.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited October 2008
    So, you are down to a couple of differences...

H3 - Buttons for views, rate wheel, intensity wheel, completely networking based (no internal universes), adjustable screen angle

RHFB - Artnet direct, 4 universe direct, USB saving

Unless I'm wrong, that's pretty much what it comes down to...personally, even without the Artnet direct and USB saving, I prefer the H3. I like the "feel" of the H3. I like the RH/FB, but there's just something (to me at least) of having the H3 in front of me. When I stand up, I angle the screen. I like the physical buttons for views and menu mods. I like grabbing a group and using the intensity wheel. When I'm on a RH, I'm constantly missing those functions.

So...from an opertor/user....I still prefer the H3.
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited October 2008
    + nothing beats the feeling of anodized aluminium :)
  • tedcooktedcook Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Plus (as far as I'm aware) the H3 is the only console that supports direct macro control of it's CD player. Not sure how much use that gets in the real world, but I wished we had it on our iPC when we had to program a lightning effect to occur simultaneously with thunder.