Cat 6 and Gigabit Lan

I had a thought the other day, but I'm not sure it will work, or even be able to help out the network. I was thinking about getting into a console, or at least starting to buy some of the gear associated with a console. I was looking at the manuals, and Cat 5e is the correct cables for the console/system. However, Cat 6 is fully compatible with all Cat 5 and 5e.

So my question is, if I was to make a gigabit lan system (Cat 6), would that improve the performance and/or work with a Hog3 system. Or does the hardware associated with the HogIII and DP2000 not make it able to improve speed and/or work?

Also, I saw a post about two years back about available ethernet switches on the market that would have both fiber and ethernet on them. Does anyone have any new suggestions of a product that has both? I think I'd like to invest in one that does. So either Cat 5e or Cat 6 and a fiber.

-Patrick :hogsign:
  • You really won't see any difference between a gigabit switch or a fast ethernet switch b/c Hog-Net only runs @ 100MBps max (fast). So the extra cost of Cat 6 cables isn't really worth it for this application.

BTW the only real physical difference between Cat-5 and Cat-6 is that "twist" is much tighter on Cat-6.

Luminex makes good products for fiber that will run at gigabit or fast...I know PRG also has their own switches now as well, but theirs only run fast...not gigabit.

Hope this helps:)
  • Marty-

Helps a lot. Keeps me at least from purchasing such expensive equipment, or spending more on cable...it costs significantly more, so good thing to know.
  • [quote=prmucha]Also, I saw a post about two years back about available ethernet switches on the market that would have both fiber and ethernet on them. Does anyone have any new suggestions of a product that has both?

any trustworthy switch on today's market will have (sometimes optional, but) at least two 1000 "Small Form-Factor Pluggable" ports, into which you'll insert a separately-purchased module, giving you the option to terminate each SFP port to CATx or any flavor fiber. these SFP modules can be swapped out and interchanged at will, they basically serve as an "adapter" from your switch to whatever you want to plug in.

Cisco has recently released their Catalyst Express line. they're fantastic, and dirt cheap. they don't have the good ol' IOS feel to them, but instead there's a graphical interface that makes setting up things like VLANs, QoS and Trunking entirely too easy for the average lighting technician.

24x 10/100 ports, 2x 1000 ethernet (WS-CE500-24TT) for ~$500
    24x 10/100 ports (4x with PoE), 2x 1000 ethernet, and 2x SFP for when you're ready to switch to fiber (WS-CE500-24LC) for ~$700
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma]BTW the only real physical difference between Cat-5 and Cat-6 is that "twist" is much tighter on Cat-6.

The extra twists help with interference/noise. They also use a different connector then cat-5 to help prevent cross talk and are sometimes made with 23 gauge instead of 24. I just made a ton of cat 5e and cat 6 cables, so this is fresh in my mind.
Related