DL3 collage and sdi input.

jmlnorrisjmlnorris Registered User
edited June 2008 in DL.3/DL.2
I am currently running (6) DL3's in a 3x2 enhanced collage. I am also using the SDI input to the fixture to map a feed from our video rig through the collage. Most of the time all is fine and dandy, but after about 20-25 minutes of ingest the DL's lose sync with each other. It starts out small (1-3 frames) then gets further and further off (give or take 2-3 sec.). The stock content seems to stay mostly in sync during all of this, as we switch from DL content to the SDI input. The only thing that seems to "re-sync" them is a reboot from CMA. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to correct this.

All of the DL's are running v1.3.7.1382. I was wondering if this may be addressed in v1.4.0.1699. Just haven't been able to drop the truss yet to upload the update.

Comments

• SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2008
    I'm very happy to say that v1.4.0 included a lot of work to make network media sync really work!

After upgrading you will need to make sure your show makes use of the Sync To parameters in the DMX protocol.
  • jmlnorrisjmlnorris Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Thanks. Great to hear. I'm also experiencing a yellowish color shift in the blended edges of the collage, is there a work around. The "mask edge fade" doesn't seem to shift color, but I'd rather not build a collage that way. The collage generator is so much faster.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2008
    If you set your modifier #3 to be either DMX value 144 or 145 this will give you better gamma optimization on the blending curves.

One is supposed to be for color images and the other B&W....I just can't remember which is which....so try both and see what works best for your content.

Hope this helps:)

EDIT****

BTW - are you seeing a sync lag when running content or when using SDI?
    edited June 2008
    I've been seeing a lag in both. More so in the SDI. Even with the "sync mode" and "sync to" selected. The stock content is usually no more than a few frames. The SDI can get off by seconds. Scott says the lastest software should fix it. Unfortunately my DL's are hanging in the air, far from reach. and I'm too lazy to get out the boom lift out and update them while hanging upside down from the truss.
    edited June 2008
    Interesting....b/c I just did a show as well that had some serious lags with the SDI input...I was seeing varied lag times from fixture to fixture...running 1.4.0-b1692...I talked with Scott about it earlier, but at least I'm not the only one who has seen this.
    edited June 2008
    Latest SW fixes the sync in the content playback.

Marty's call about SDI lag was the first I've heard of that...and you are seeing it to in v1.3.7?

What is your SDI source?
    edited June 2008
    As a side note the newly implemented/improved sync works beautifully now!:headbang:
    edited June 2008
    Our SDI source is from a GrassValley Indigo HR outputting SD-SDI (SMPTE 259M) directly into the DL3s over RG59 cable. Then the SDI signal is looped thru the fixtures.
    On a side note. The original lag is while the fixtures in a 3x2 collage. We tried playing with the DL's in a non-collage situation (6 separate images not one big one). The SDI seems to stay in sync. Haven't had a chance to yet to test the sync over a long period of time yet (only 5-6 minutes so far).
    edited June 2008
    One helpful thing to also know is if other units farther down the daisychain link are perfoming okay.

We need to know if it is in the SDI card delaying downstream units in the daisy chain or if it is between the SDI card and our graphics engine internally.
    edited June 2008
    As far as signal flow/ sync. Fixtures (in order of cable patch) 1,3,5 stay in sync. 4 is staying close. 2,6 are way off. The faster the motion in the content the further off it gets. Slow motion/ steadier content seems to keep closer to sync. Hope that helps.
    edited June 2008
    That helps a lot. Please let us know of any other details that occur to you. The more detail we have on reproducing it the easier it is for us to find and fix!
    edited June 2008
    Guys, I've logged defect #11852 for this. Please report any other details or instances you see in this thread too.
  • schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Hi Jason,

I've been able to recreate the issue here in the office on 1.4.0.1699. Not sure exactly what is going on yet, but I will pass along any details I can as I dig into it a bit deeper.

Thanks for reporting this,