My Light Died ?

:confused: Once again, I am working with 8 I-beam 700hx of varying age and condition. I had one that was making a loud hum as if a ballast or transformer was dying. I went to power the unit on and the fixture would home but the lamp would never fully strike. You could see a small blue arc in the lamp but it would never strike fully. I changed both silver capacitors with spare ones that I have and restarted the unit. This time the lamp struck fine and the buzz was gone. I then re-assembled the unit completely and found that it had completely died.:sad: I mean dead as dead. No homing, no motor light, no lamp or fan light. I checked the fuse, the switch and all was ok. I have a/c going into the transformer but I am at a loss of what to check next.:confused: I am going with the assumption that the transformer has finally died and I have an extra fixture to cannibalize for parts to check my theory. Does anyone have a more experienced opinion? :dunno: I checked all the connetions on both p/c boards and they seem fine. What voltages should I look for coming from the transformer? Help?

:1zhelp:
  • [quote=JCS Lighting]:confused: Once again, I am working with 8 I-beam 700hx of varying age and condition. I had one that was making a loud hum as if a ballast or transformer was dying. I went to power the unit on and the fixture would home but the lamp would never fully strike. You could see a small blue arc in the lamp but it would never strike fully. I changed both silver capacitors with spare ones that I have and restarted the unit. This time the lamp struck fine and the buzz was gone. I then re-assembled the unit completely and found that it had completely died.:sad: I mean dead as dead. No homing, no motor light, no lamp or fan light. I checked the fuse, the switch and all was ok. I have a/c going into the transformer but I am at a loss of what to check next.:confused: I am going with the assumption that the transformer has finally died and I have an extra fixture to cannibalize for parts to check my theory. Does anyone have a more experienced opinion? :dunno: I checked all the connetions on both p/c boards and they seem fine. What voltages should I look for coming from the transformer? Help?

:1zhelp:
    Check the plug on connectors on the power board - in your case, especially the power input, votage select, and transformer connectors. These are notorious for buring in I-Beams (I have four units, and over the years *all* four of them have had this failure . . .). What I did was to replace the connectors with similar non-connectorized terminal strips. A bit slower to get the board out, but no more failures . . . .

(Oops! Just noted that you checked the connectors . . . so that may or may not be it. Be sure that you pull them off and look for deformed plastic - just making sure they are seated won't do it . . . ).

- Tim
Related