Iphone as remote of the hog 3 working !!!!

Frankv1234Frankv1234 Registered User
Hi there,

It took me a while to figure out but I'm now able to use my iphone as a remote for the hog 3 on wlan.

for those who are interested please visit my site. I will post a tutorial video in the podcast section very soon
http://web.mac.com/frank.verbeek/Frank_Verbeek/Welkom.html

Greetings

Frank

Comments

• jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited April 2008
    Frank...

I want to see this, but I don't understand dutch (I'm assuming)...do I need to know the language to understand the podcast?
  • Frankv1234Frankv1234 Registered User
    edited April 2008
    i will try to do the podcast in English. It will be on my site this weekend. i promise.
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2008
    Hmm...almost time to say bye bye to my Nokia...

This sounds really nice.
    edited April 2008
    So, from the pictures I'm seeing, is it safe to assume you are using UltraVNC to connect to a laptop that is running Hog3PC and not an actual console?
    edited April 2008
    Thats correct, the laptop is then connected to the hog 3 in a remote show logon.

didn't have time to make the podcast today. hope tomorrow.....

Greetings

Frank Verbeek
    edited April 2008
    Also, the link to the source code on your page is a broken link. I couldn't get the source code.
  • Jeroen_NLJeroen_NL Registered User
    edited May 2008
    might there be a way to implement the vnc server part in the embedded windows on the ipc ?. This would mean you'd only need to connect a wifi acesspoint to the ipc to use your pda/iphone as a remote
    edited May 2008
    I doubt it as there is no where to launch it from.
  • Jeroen_NLJeroen_NL Registered User
    edited May 2008
    that's a shame...
  • spcentralspcentral Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2008
    Would this work with the ipod touch as well? The touch has a wlan connection so it should work.
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2008
    What's the latest with this? Is there an ETA for the English podcast?
    edited June 2008
    so much to do and so little time...... :sad:

End of this weekend the podcast or written manual will be online
    edited July 2008
    Now that 2.0 is out, there is a VNC app right in the iTunes store. And, it's FREE. The iPhone/Touch/3G wouldn't need to be jailbroken to work.

With that, I was able to connect to my Mac. I haven't been able to test it as a Hog 3 remote yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to.
    edited July 2008
    yep thats is working if you run parrallels or similar to run xp on your macbook. I will try to connect direct to a normal windows laptop when i will be back from holiday, but i think it will work when you run a vnc server on your xp laptop

greetings frank
  • J.R. Lighting DesignJ.R. Lighting Design Registered User
    edited July 2008
    I currently have my iPhone functioning as a RFU / General Hog 3 GUI on my phone using the Mocha VNC Lite application from Itunes (which is free) and a VNC server from RealVNC.com running on a Hog 3 PC computer. I can call up channels, position moving lights, (which is a bit shaky) and run cues. You can literally sit in the audience or stand on stage with the client and play back the entire show...That is if your battery doesn't run out first. Very exciting and useful indeed.

Jason
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited August 2008
    Hi jason,
    are you using the free vnc applicaton from realVNC or one of the paid applications.
    Does anybody have any information on how to set this up or can they post something.

Cheers C

Got it working,well itouch to HogIII PC using my home wireless network so i suppose i'm half way to getting a full show system working.
  • J.R. Lighting DesignJ.R. Lighting Design Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Yes, we used the free RealVNC Application and it works great. Of course there is a slight lag.

But basically there was no real configuring of RealVNC from what I recall. Just make sure that the IP address for your computer and for the Mocha VNC App on your iPhone / iTouch match, and you should be able to connect in no time.
  • gcc_lightinggcc_lighting Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Verry COOL guys! Works perfect.
  • bellonsbellons Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2008
    I know that's not the right place for asking so far but here it goes.
    I did download mocha vnc lite on my iphone from the app store. The problem is I can't get it opened.
    Touch the icon, the application starts and after a couple of secs colses down. Anyone has a clue?
    FYI my Iphone is jailbroken and unlocked.
    thanks Marco
  • CMikaelianCMikaelian Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I have had that problem with other iPhone applications. Simply delete the app and reinstall and it should work fine. BTW... Thanks for the tips guys.. downloading and installing these programs now.
  • spcentralspcentral Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    I noticed that the link isn't working anymore to get the app. Is there an updated link or anyone that could send me the file?
  • snowmaniac153snowmaniac153 Registered User
    edited June 2009
    will this still work with the New Iphone S coming out?
  • stacherastachera Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Works great and easy to set-up on the Mac with Mocha VNC Lite (free). Thanks.
  • ChrislimChrislim Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Hi

Sorry to bother
    So which is the best way to remote HOG 3
    Using another PC or Tablet PC

thanks
    edited October 2009
    If you're talking about control with the iphone, then it doesn't matter. It just needs to connect wirelessly to whatever is your device (PC or tablet).

If you're talking in general, I use a Macbook Pro with a programming wing wirelessly for remote focuses of ML's. If I'm doing conventionals/LEDs/etc., I use the iPhone talking to the Macbook Pro which is networked into the H3.
  • joeshepardjoeshepard Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Is anyone using Windows 7 Parallels and hogpc 3.1.0 with an iPC successfully? I had my network happy as a clam but now for the life of me with xp via parallels with 3.0.4 but now I can't get the 2 boxes to see each other.

Both machines are connected to my Belkin G ethernet box (as it was before)

I've got the iPC set up on port 6600 as console 1 server on.

HogPC on port 6600 as console 2 server on.

The choices for which network card to use is grayed out on both machines and even though both machines seem to be getting addresses from DHCP they're in different number ranges.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Joe
  • leebotleebot Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Uncheck the server on box on hog pc. You will need to do this before it will scan for a show server.
  • joeshepardjoeshepard Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Lee. That did it!

Joe
  • mliptackmliptack Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Is there any way to connect to a Road Hog or Full Boar for control. I'm working on a traveling show, where the console is in a fairly remote location and making adjustments is extremely difficult.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I just wanted to specify that I am using a Road Hog (not the Full Boar unfortunately)

Best regards,
    Max
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited March 2010
    Max,

Unfortunately, I don't believe that the Roadhog can network at all. You would need one of the other Wholehog systems to make it work.
  • mliptackmliptack Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Hmmm i wonder if it would be possible through some USB wifi or USB to Ethernet adaptor.

If not... maybe I'll be able to swap it for the full boar before my next stop.
    edited March 2010
    Even if you could find a USB product that would connect, the Roadhog software does not even include any networking information, so there would be no way to configure or control it.

So, no, the Roadhog specifically will not connect to the phone. The FullBoar, H3 and iPC will all connect as they allow network connections.

J
  • runbmcrunbmc Registered User
    edited December 2011
    Hi There
    This has been a very educational thread.
    I have a question, if you wouldn't mind clarifying.

I have a Road hog Full Boar. Is there any way of controlling this remotely through and Iphone/Ipad?
    My understanding so far is that you can only remote control pc versions of the operating software
  • sinclairsinclair Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2011
    runbmc wrote: »
    Hi There
    This has been a very educational thread.
    I have a question, if you wouldn't mind clarifying.

I have a Road hog Full Boar. Is there any way of controlling this remotely through and Iphone/Ipad?
    My understanding so far is that you can only remote control pc versions of the operating software
    To remote with iPhone/iPad, you'll want to add a wireless router and a second PC that runs as a hog client and as a VNC server. Your iDevice connects as a VNC client (with a VNC app). It works, but it's not the easiest to control.
  • drathbundrathbun Registered User
    edited June 2012
    Since there were no takers on my other thread, I'm resurrecting this one.

I am setting up a new Full Boar console in my lighting lab. I am first going to get Hog3PC on a laptop working via a wireless router using these instructions:

Networking Hog3PC to a Wholehog Console Using a Wireless Router

Then I will work on connecting to the laptop Hog3PC to my iPad3 using TightVNC.

I will update this thread when I am successful or when I need to cry help! :confused:
  • kurtiswilkkurtiswilk Registered User
    edited June 2012
    Hey Doug,

If you need help, let me know, I can give you a hand and set up the theatre services one at the same time :)

kurtis
  • drathbundrathbun Registered User
    edited June 2012
    kurtiswilk wrote: »
    Hey Doug,

If you need help, let me know, I can give you a hand and set up the theatre services one at the same time :)

kurtis

Looks like I won't be able to work on this any time soon. They have taken the Full Boar out of my hands and installed it in a theatre where I won't be able to access it until March 2013.
  • Henry07Henry07 Registered User
    edited May 2013
    It is relies on networking pc client into the system, first generation developed my hog 3 iPhone remote.