Networking PC to iPC and DL.2's?

I'm having trouble making my PC play friendly with both an iPC and DL.2's at the same time.

Normally the PC just runs the CMA for the DL.2's and the iPC runs with its loop-back adapter. On occasions that I use the PC as a networked console, it usually takes some monkeying around to get it talking to the iPC (rebooting things, assigning ip addresses... I don't know really, I just keep messing around till it works), but then the CMA doesn't find the DL.2's any longer.

I recently tried out the file sharing feature of v2.4, which worked amazingly easy (didn't have to reboot anything or assign new ip addresses), but once again the CMA no longer sees the DL.2's.

So I would love it if someone could give me some detailed instructions on how to make this work in a rock solid manner. :1zhelp:

Here is my setup:
Ethernet Switch 1: lines to each DL.2 (2 of them), line to switch 2
Ethernet Switch 2: lines to iPC, PC, line from switch 1
PC: 1 network card for lighting network, 1 card for internet

Thanks.
  • If you want the DL2 to be apart of your network I suggest that you set static IP's on both consoles. But have one and only one running as a DHCP server or if you are running a router turn DHCP off on the consoles and have the router set-up to give out IP's to non-static IP machines. Then make sure that the server is up before you power the media server. If you power up the media server before it will be automatically assigned an IP address usally something in the 169.254..254.255 type range. The computer inside I believe is set-up to obtain an IP through windows automatically. When it is given an IP from another server it will connect and should appear on your network.

Not sure on the official view of running the CMA on the same network as the HOG, but I have been doing it for demo purposes with great success. The one recommendation is that your switches should be gigabit to handle file transfers.
  • I currently don't have any DHCP server anywhere in my network (iPC and PC don't have the option, and I'm using switches not routers). Therefore I think everything is being assigned default IP addresses by Windows XP. Could the problem be that things are getting assigned to the same IP address?

Also, could having two network connections confuse the CMA in some manner so that it is just looking at the wrong network and not finding the servers?

Thanks for the help. I'll have to play with this some more this weekend.
  • When everything gets it's own IP from Windows, they could very well receive the same IP.

Your best bet, as jthatcher mentioned, is to get either the console or the switch acting as the DHCP server and setting the range. IP addressing and subnet masking are essential to getting everything to talk together.
  • [QUOTE=jxgriffi]When everything gets it's own IP from Windows, they could very well receive the same IP.

The Auto IP scheme has provisions to prevent duplicate addresses.

DL's are designed to work in an auto-ip environment. The Hog products are not.

You either need to get a DHCP server, or statically address all of the Hog devices (including DPs). The HogIII console has a DHCP server built in, but the iPC does have a DHCP server at this time.
  • Sometimes I find that only having the network card that you are using for your show active. I have had probplems with having multiple cards active and trying to connect to the hog network. You might want to give that a try.
  • Sorry for jumping late on this, but are you trying to run both CMA and H3PC down the same network line?

While you might be able to get this to work (using a DHCP server such as a router), it really is not the best idea IMO.

You should really have two separate networks here. One for Hog-3 stuff and a separate one for CMA. This may require an addtional network adapter in your case, or you may have to reconfigure your network adapter settings when switching networks for reasons already stated earlier in this thread.
Related