Studio Command Power Issue

EsotericEsoteric Registered User
edited April 2008 in HES Automated Lighting
Hey guys thanks for all your help on my other issues. Now I have a Studio Command that will not power on. I have replaced all the fuses and when I turn it on, nothing. No LEDs, no home, nothing.

Any ideas?

Mike

Comments

• Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited April 2008
    If you get nothing,
    the motor power supply has probably failed,
    There usually is a fuse on that board, but I don't have a studio command in front of me to check...
    or, the power cable from the motor power supply to the logic card has come unplugged.

Good Luck!
    Joshua Wood
  • EsotericEsoteric Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Thanks Wood, the whole MPS failed and the person that "replaced all the fuses" forgot the two on the backside of the unit. One of those was blown as well. After replacing the MPS and the fuse the unit powered up and homed, but as I went to put the panel back on I had to push it a little to get it to fit on correctly and when I gave it a little push I heard a click and the unit went down again. It is still down.

What else could it be?

Mike
    edited April 2008
    it might be possible you have a intermittent short in the wire that runs between the motor power supply and the logic card.

I would try replacing the fuse again, but first see if you can find where a short may be taking place.

Try looking at where the power plugs into the logic card. there may be something touching the case in that area, if when you pushed on the card it tripped.

Of course, that may have been a coincidence, in which case, you may have a failing motor power supply.

Good Luck!
    Joshua Wood
    edited April 2008
    I hope its not another MPS (just replaced it with a brand new one!).

I was thinking short as well.

All the fuses are good at this point.

I would think if it was a short it would power on when I took the cover back off.

Mike
    edited April 2008
    when the fixture failed this time, it didn't blow the fuses again?
    in that case, something odd is going on, could be the wire is coming unplugged? check the voltage coming out of the mps, I think it is somthing like 40vdc, but I could be wrong, that is just off the top of my head.
    Just make sure you have some voltage coming out of the mps.

Joshua Wood
    edited April 2008
    Well not only didn't it blow, but when I touched the case it shocked me!

Mike
    edited April 2008
    there must be some sort of wiring problem somewhere,
    I would look at all the wiring, and see if you can find any bare wire.
    I don't know that the motor power supply voltage is enough to really cause a shock, so I guess I would look more at the incoming side, and also the lamp circuit as well.

Pretty odd problem,
    Good luck.
    Joshua Wood
    edited April 2008
    Hey guys, just thought I would give you an update, thanks for all your help.

It turns out that in addition to a bad MPS, the transformer on the circuit board on the back side of the unit (the one where the AC power comes in and it sends out power to the LPS and MPS) had been repaired before and soldered to the circuit board. Well, someone had used too much solder and not seated the transformer properly, so when I replaced the back of the unit appearently the transformer touched the metal casing of the unit, which appearantly caused a short in the unit.

I reseated the transformer and reassembled the unit and all is well.

Mike