Xspot Control Issue

zacharyczacharyc Registered User
edited April 2008 in HES Automated Lighting
We have been having an issue for a few nights now with one of our xspots. It is daisy chained off of one other xSpot. Every once and a while when we send it a command it will stop responding and pick a random position to be in. The only way we have been able to fix it is to turn it off and turn it back on and it starts responding again. We have replaced the DMX so we do not think it is a DMX problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks a lot,
Zach

Comments

• TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Go into the menu under test choose boot. I have had that fix things. Also, reloading the software may also fix it, you can crossload the software from a different fixture. One time i had a cpu board go bad, and the fixture kept randomly assigning itself to dmx addr 513. (and yes, addr 513!!!)
  • Mike HansonMike Hanson Registered User, HES Alumni, Hog Beta
    edited April 2008
    Do you have a DMX terminator in line? Could be a DMX reflection problem?
  • PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Mike Hanson said:
    Do you have a DMX terminator in line? Could be a DMX reflection problem?

X-Spots are self terminating by design. A plug is only required if there is something further down the line and only at the end of a run like a dimmer or something that does not self T.
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited April 2008
    Sorry Puffy,
    Whoever told you x-spots were self-terminating lied to you.
    High-end has never made a fixture that self terminates as far as I know.
    Joshua Wood
  • PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Whaaaaaaaaaaa?:eek::dunce::eek:
    I have been told by factory service techs, technobeam, ss-250 and that series, x spots etc were self T'ing.
    I took it as gospel. Holy sh#t! This kinda screws up a lot tech crap in my mind and solves a few oddities going back a long time. O man you got me f'dup like polio here.:aiwebs_007:
    edited April 2008
    Maybe thats why when i plugged a 120 Ohm 1/4W 1% resistor in at the last show into a color pro, all my Dmx went :aargh4:. And I was :angryfire:
    edited April 2008
    Tim,
    If you have a dmx problem somewhere in a show,
    a terminator will often make this problem obvious..

If the signal is low to begin with, adding a terminator will sometimes cause the dmx link to fail.
    removing the terminator will solve the problem sometimes, but it could stop working at any moment. the best solution is to find the cause of the problem.
    Adding a terminator will never cause problems in a dmx system that is working correctly,

And,
    Sorry Puffy,
    And just to make sure I wasn't talking out my ass, I checked a few user manuals, and they all say that terminators are required.
    Joshua Wood
    edited April 2008
    i found the dmx glitch that was going on to be a cable that came out of an opto splitter not plugged into anything, so there was notable ring back, but since it was opto spitted then why did i have a glitch? I did not try re-terminating the line. The splitter was a martin RS-485 splitter.
    edited April 2008
    That is a tough one,
    I don't know the splitter, but I would assume that it is actually isolated..
    that shouldn't have been the problem, but I wouldn't assume anything.
    A bad dmx cable can be a very tough thing to find.
    Especially since the problems tend not to show up near where the bad cable is.

Joshua Wood
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Woodj32177 said:
    Sorry Puffy,
    Whoever told you x-spots were self-terminating lied to you.
    High-end has never made a fixture that self terminates as far as I know.
    Joshua Wood
    Intellabeams definitely self-terminate, since they regenerate DMX in every fixture, but as old as they are, I am not sure that they count anymore . . .

- Tim
    edited April 2008
    i wish fixtures still regenerate. It seems like it would solve many problems.
  • jbart74jbart74 Registered User
    edited April 2008
    I've been playing with and relying on HES fixtures for over ten years. Never used a terminator and never had a signal problem that wasn't fixed by a new data cable, new fixture, or new console. (in one case) If anyone can prove to me that an HES rig is failing due to a lack of a terminator I'll hand you $100 in cash on the spot. It just isn't an issue with HES units. Good luck fixing the problem though!
    edited April 2008
    Do you run long cables, >500'?
    Do you put 32 fixtures per link?
    if you don't push a dmx link to its limit, the need for a terminator is somewhat lessened in my experience.
    But if you use the rule, "never using them"
    then you may run into trouble, when you start to push it.
    I always use terminators, and "I have never had a signal problem that wasn't fixed by a new data cable, new fixture"
    :D
    Joshua Wood
    edited April 2008
    i'm with joshua on that one also. If you are just using 10-20 units you may never need a terminator. I have run into problems of having a long cable not plugged into the next fixture which has caused bad data problems. But then in my theory, what is the difference in having for example 50' run from console to about 10 lights, then having a 300' cable running to two other lights, or just not having any lights plugged into that 300' cable. On most fixtures the dmx is jumped directly from the input to the output. There is no repeating of the signal.