Fixture Converter

TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
edited March 2008 in Misc. Discussion
Lately we have been trying to design a fixture converter. Its basically a DMX patch bay. So if an LD comes in with a disk patched for Mac 2k's and we only have 500's we can tell it to convert the dmx out of the console to match as closely as possible to the 500's. Many consoles do not have the ability to switch out fixtures so we figured this would be a good advantage. Anyone else have a need for the idea?

I'm not trying to sell anything, but am just up for ideas. Or if someone already has something like this let me know.

Comments

• srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited March 2008
    Well, basically Hog3 does the trick. Only thing missing is accurate fixture libraries. Especially color calibration, also some not so know fixtures have little mistakes in libraries.
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited March 2008
    I know the HogIII does it. But i am still working with a lot of LD's who use the Hog II and 1000.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Well if they insist on being masochistic:rolleyes: ....on H2 you can use the CLONE syntax in combination with keystroke macros to copy info from one fixture type to another....over and over and over and over again for both palettes and cues......this really can take a lot of time though....tedious and painful.

That's how we used to do it....until H3 came around with the wonderful Change Type functionality:headbang: ...much faster!
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited March 2008
    Tim,

Oh, I see now your point of view. Though, I think the proper way to do the conversion is the H3 way using real world values.
    Rerouting the dmx (parameter channels) is not enough...for me it wouldn't be.
    But, It would really nice to see a program or anykind of box which can convert and reroute dmx output in realtime to match another fixture. Huge project, I think.
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Yep, we are in the very early design stages of throwing around ideas. Such as should it be a box, or a computer based program? We are leaning for a box with a large LCD display.