Widgets drop off and stop working with in 5 mins of starting up

System:
Lenovo N100 Laptop w/XP home SP2
Console: Hog2PC v3.4.3.123
Widgets: Hog3PC DMXWidget ID-2889, Hog3PC DMXWidget ID-3439

I have a repeated problem where I open/load a show. Be running simple deskcan commands to set my lights, and if I leave the laptop sitting for more than 5 mins, The widgets lock up leaving only the TXmode and Link LED's on
I also get a red dot next to the widget number in the desktop menu bar.

It seems like the widgets are locking up and no longer taking input from the laptop. I am forced to restart the console, and its not untill I click new/load show. does the widget finaly rest.

Any suggestions?
  • John,

This sounds like power management on your computer. I suggest either checking the power settings on your computer or getting a self powered USB hub to plug the widgets into.

For Power management, go to the Window's Control Panel and select "Power Options". Then you can go through the settings...
  • humm. Intresting view point.
    As for Power Options. I have found nothing in windows power,or any other settings applying to USB power. To answer a future question. all my power settings are set to never turn off. My power settings are set no to turn off. go on stand by. Nor do I have any sort of screen saver that activates.

If I get the chance tonight, Ill look into self powered usb hub. Granted, here at my shop, I don't have the same setup as the common venue I am at, but it's worth a shot.

Also you have brought up a good point about power. Since the dmx widget is powering off of the laptop only. And I know for a fact that the DMX jack I plug into on site to service the light truss is located on stage right, sending across a cable line at least 200' away from the booth where the DMX IsoSplitter Is located. I'm sure a cause coudl be that the signal takes to long to respond, along with the distance travled causing the signal power to die off locking up the widget. I guess I wil have to use a DMX Iso inline right after the widget and before the stage right wall jack.

If I plug a Hog500/1000 into that same stage right DMX jack. I do not have any issue. Then again, I would take a stab that a physical console's DMX amprage output is much higher/stronger compaired to a USB DMX Widget.
  • Update:
    running though some bench tests this evening, Had about 100' of dmx line with LED terminator at the end. Widget locked up with in about 15 mins. Then tried it again with the terminator plugged in to the back of the widget only. It's now been 2 hrs, and still working fine.

So I guess to answer my own question, probaly any lenght over 50'ft is to far for a single widget to send a feed. (Or atleast in my case) For any longer lenght, I will require a DMX ISO or DA to amplfly the signal allowing the widget to function with out any strain. I would doubt that a external powered USB hub would help any.
  • I have sent dmx over 500' on a widget before on several occaisions,
    There may be something wrong with your widget, if it only transmits 50'.
    I would definetly try a powered hub before you try anything else though.
    Widgets pull a lot of power for a USB Device.
    Good Luck!
    Joshua Wood
  • Woodj32177,
    Had a big show, hog500 crashed hard, unable to use it, so I had to switch to my laptop and widgets.
    I was able to make shift a 5vDC power supply for the hub I have, and it worked.
    I can see how the widget can deffanly suck power.
    Ill take note on future gigs, that I need to have a usb hub with its own power inorder for the widgets to work.
Related