DL2 no output...HELP

I have DL2 that is responding to dmx yet there is no output...

I know that sometimes the internal / external relay gets stuck - we have tried this several times through the CMA and no luck.

Tried just about every kind of reset available.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark
  • Mark,

You can call our support guys here any time and they can probably walk you through everything to check over the phone.

That said, a couple things to try are to verify that you are getting graphiics engine output by using the Self Test.

If you go into Self Test and check both Self Test Video modes and see if you get output or not. That will tell us if there is a computer issue or not.

Are you seeing the menu on the side of the fixture come up?

Check the incoming DMX values in the DL.2 menu also so you can see what DMX values each parameter is receiving.
  • Thanks for the quick reply Scott,
    I am on a cruise ship right now so phone calls are very expensive if possible at all...

Show has already started now but I will check into what you suggest asap.

Mark
  • Ahh no worries then. I forgot about you being on a ship. Let me know what you find and we can go from there.
  • I know I have had many cases like this. Typically I find it to be the cable to the graphics card was loose and just needed a little tweek.
  • All is good now. The old standby of cycling the power did the trick. Unfortunately the way our rig is set up, it is impossible to turn off on fixture at a time without physically being at the fixture or up in the grid - and at 10 minutes to show - turning the whole rig off isn't really an option.

This isn't the first time we have needed to cycle power to this particular DL2. We have four and the other three are very reliable. Is there something we could look at to bring this other one up to snuff?
  • Just another bit of info. I recently had one that was sent set to external input. I had to switch it back to internal to get output. Took me about a half an hour of scratching a hole in my head.
  • [quote=MarkScott]This isn't the first time we have needed to cycle power to this particular DL2. We have four and the other three are very reliable. Is there something we could look at to bring this other one up to snuff?

Hey Mark,

You can always try doing a fixture "Shutdown" via DMX as well, then wait a minute or two and the "Global Reset".

Since I happen to have an intimate knowledge of the space you're in;) ....is this the same fixture that wold do that strange thing with the sluggish Pan movement about a year ago (the unit all the way Stage-Right...or would that really be Ice-Right??)? If so did you ever have the chance to check out the Top-Box control card? If this is a persistent issue, you might try swapping the Top-Box card between two fixtures and see if the problem follows the card. Check with Ben to see if he ever had the opportnity to do this.

[quote=jthatcher]Just another bit of info. I recently had one that was sent set to external input. I had to switch it back to internal to get output. Took me about a half an hour of scratching a hole in my head.

Yep...I've also seen that relay "stick" in the wrong position and then you have to change in from Internal to External, and then back again from External to Internal.....this is much worse b/c the fixture will indicate Internal even though the relay is "stuck" in External.:eek:
  • The Internal / External relay was the first thing I tried.

Marty,
    I did try a fixture shutdown from the console - a couple of times, along with every type of reset there was...

This is not the same fixture that you are talking about. This is 'ice' left. The one ice right has been fine... If I remember correctly Benny took care of it months ago.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • [quote=MarkScott]This is not the same fixture that you are talking about. This is 'ice' left. The one ice right has been fine... If I remember correctly Benny took care of it months ago.

I figured he probably had done this already, but wanted to be sure of the unit that was acting up.

It is probably worth a look inside the Top-box anyway to be sure all the connections to the computer are well secured....especially the DVI and VIVO connectors on the video card.

If you have more time you might also want to take out the computer entirely and open it up to be sure that the video card is properly seated to the motherboard, and that all the power connections, etc are good inside computer.

Also since you are blessed with the beauty of the ships' DELTA power via the Canalis system:rolleyes: ....be sure that the DL.2s have fully booted (usually about 3-4 minutes) before striking the lamps on any of the other fixtures in the rig.
  • Mark,

Is this something you are seeing happen repeatedly or just a one time thing? That will help for troubleshooting.

Also, at the point where you were not getting any output, could you tell if the Projector lamp was struck? Was the iris opening?

That will help narrow down the issue.

Thanks.