DL.3

z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
edited March 2008 in DL.3/DL.2

Comments

• SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Hey Phil,

Thanks! That didn't take long to get noticed I think we hit the "publish" button only 10 minutes ago :)
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I'm sitting in (endless) rehearsals in a ballroom in Jacksonville. The news item popped up in my RSS reader. Feel free to upload more detailed information, manuals, etc. I believe I've found the end of the inter-trons.

PG
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited February 2008
    Looks great Scott. Now, are there updates to the D-Mix to allow DMX controlled SDI switching???

Hope to see some of these soon!
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Yes, congrats on the release....hopefully I'll be seeing you guys early next week to check it out!

SDI I/O is huge for the presentation market!!

Also the lensing options (long throw + ultra long throw) are a massive improvement for a lot of folks....seems a bit downplayed in the press release though!!

As always you guys:headbang::headbang: :headbang:
    edited February 2008
    I'm looking for some SDI options that will serve the same purpose as the DTek.

I'm curious as to how many IN's and how many OUT's you routinely would need? (Remember price always increases with capacity too).
    edited February 2008
    Personally, I like a minimum of 4 in/out like the version of the D-Tek. Makes a nice small package and easy to tote around.

Occasionally, it might be nice to have an 8-way or at least a "stackable" configurations available.
    edited February 2008
    SBlair wrote:
    I'm curious as to how many IN's and how many OUT's you routinely would need? (Remember price always increases with capacity too).

4 is nice as stated, but typically I've found that more INs are needed than OUTs as usually there are additional sources than the DL.2s themselves (although we still have the S-video input for those since the camera is the same....so the current D-TEKs will still be useful for some time yet).

I say a minimum of 6 IN and 6 OUT personally. 8 is even better.....4 has been too few for me on far too many occasions with DL.2.

Stackable is the ideal, then a system can be scaled appropriately without having to change to a totally different system.

Hey Scott....I may have missed something, but I couldn't find the "lens shift" parameter that is mentioned in the release anywhere in the preliminary DMX chart/PDF spec....I'm curious as to how that is implemented....
    edited February 2008
    Marty,

The lens shift is accessed through the Control Channel in the same way you do for changing the state of the camera relays. It is a mechanical lens shift function that will shift it all the way to the top or bottom end.
  • mjmaltbiemjmaltbie Registered User
    edited February 2008
    DL3 Looks Awesome! SDI is huge. Any chance Axon will be getting upgraded as well?
    :)
    edited February 2008
    z6p6tist6 wrote:

Those are nice and that is one of the things I've been exploring. The next issue becomes one of automation. You can switch via RS232, but that then gets clunky to automate from a console. These also only switch and don't crossfade. Maybe I'm wrong, but I figured the dissolve ability of the DTek was huge for most people.
    edited February 2008
    mjmaltbie wrote:
    DL3 Looks Awesome! SDI is huge. Any chance Axon will be getting upgraded as well?
    :)

Depends what you want to see in the Axon? SDI for Axon is and has been planned for a while. We are closer to achieving it now in Axon since we have added it to DL.3, but it is still not complete yet for Axon.
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm. Seems like you would be getting into range of something like a ScreenPro-II to do SDI switching like that.

Though I'm not as caught up to these types of products as I once was.

PG
  • ScottleeScottlee Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Congrats Guys,

Nice improvements :headbang:Like the optional lenseing, but i got to ask why not making a 10k:confused: My stage wash washes out the DL2's shure the 6500 is going to be better. Never the less, I look forward to working with them.
    edited February 2008
    I agree with MJ that SDI would be great on the Axon. That way it's all one type of signal going wherever it needs to go.

Also...along the lines of what Marty said...you typically have a few more feeds other than the DL2's, so something in line with the 6 or 8 ins would be very nice. As far as fading goes....while yes it is nice, you can always use the layer intensity to fade accordingly if it's the trade off of SDI vs. S-Video. You can always grab one of Doug's DMX-RS232 boxes and get going in a pinch.
    edited February 2008
    jxgriffi wrote:
    As far as fading goes....while yes it is nice, you can always use the layer intensity to fade accordingly if it's the trade off of SDI vs. S-Video.

The question is if you need to dissolve from one SDI source to another live.
    edited February 2008
    Oh, I completely understand Scott....to me, I think it's a trade I'd be willing to make. If there isn't something (yes, I've been looking too) that can do the fades and still have the ability to SDI, it's a trade off for the SDI. I have found 4x1's, but no real SDI switching matrixes with fade ability and RS-232 (or other protocol) for control.
  • gwcwc3pogwcwc3po Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Wow Gratz on the Release! 6500 Lumen:) Always better Gratz Guys!
  • Petteri PPetteri P Registered User
    edited February 2008
    How about the noise level on DL3?
    Did you managed to get it any lower ?
    edited February 2008
    Petteri P wrote:
    How about the noise level on DL3?
    Did you managed to get it any lower ?

taken directly from the press release.......

"Also new in DL.3 is a large surface area HEPA filter used to protect the projection optics from theatrical haze and debris. This results in an extremely low cooling noise."

This means the HEPA is bigger than the ones used in DL.1 & DL.2 so the fans don't need to work as hard to keep the airflow where it needs to be.
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2008
    I smell another kick ass HES booth at LDI this year!
  • gwcwc3pogwcwc3po Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Any New Effect or things like that for the Dl.3 :)?