Hog iPC controller losing power

dwp-avdwp-av Registered User
I've been working on my iPC for the last couple of days, and the controller will lose power. The desklights go out, lights on buttons go out, and I get no function from any of the buttons or trackball. I can tap the face of it, and it comes back on and everything appears to be fine. What can we do to fix this? Loose cable? Bad solder? Do I need to send it in (I hope it is something you can tell me how to fix...)? Please let me know as this is a rental console as well.
Thanks!

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited February 2008
    First check all you IEC cables to make sure they are all the way plugged in to the console.

If this doesn't work you will have to open up the console and check for any loose cables in the harnesses....chances are it is simply a loose connection, especially if it had a very bumpy truck ride:D
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Chris,

Follow what Marty says. I have also seen the faders get loose from their sockets and cause similar problems. If all else, call 800-890-8989 and talk with our support department and they can walk you through more troubleshooting.
  • tedcooktedcook Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I have seen similar behavior with our iPC. For us the problem is static electricity. If I am walking around in our capeted auditorium then come back to the board, sometimes I'll shock the console (usually on an encoder wheel) and the console blanks out -- all lights turn off and no response to any input -- for about 10 seconds then it comes back to life. It is fairly repeatable, although I try not to do it.

I've gotten in the habit of discharging myself on something else before touching the board everytime I come back to the console.
  • dwp-avdwp-av Registered User
    edited February 2008
    You know, I am in a carpeted room, and there is quite a bit of static electricity. I'll see if by discharging myself if it helps. Thanks!
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Ted,

The problem you descirbe sounds like the front panel firmware is rebooting... When you say "all the lights turn off" I assume you mean on the console (LEDs and Desklights) not the output to your rig. The front panel firmware will "watchdog" and reboot in aobut 20 sec as you state.
  • tedcooktedcook Registered User
    edited February 2008
    yeah, that's exactly it.