Newbie General Programming Question

I'm trying to learn the 3pc in hopes of getting some work in my area. I have used the Hog 2 when I was on tour but I did not do the programming, just updated palettes and ran the show, fixing problems when they would crop up. What I've read and my experience touring shows on the Hog 2 seems to indicate that most (all?) information should be stored in palettes to use in programming. Is this philosophy still valid given the new Hog 3 interface? For example, on the 2 I would record a palette with say a gobo wheel in position 3 and label it appropriately. Given that on the 3 there is already a toolbar with the same information on it, is it still necessary or desirable to make a seemingly redundant palette? Thanks in advance.
  • Hello Will,

Welcome to the forum! One thing you must realize is that the toolbar is just that, a tool. Cues and scenes reference pallets, not the toolbar. When you begin writing cues you'll realize this point more clearly. The toolbar just allows you a quick way to select parameters that have been defined by the manufacture such as slotted gobos and color wheels. Toolbars can however be used to combine these parameters to create pallets that ques can reference.

Hope this bit of information helps, but if you want detailed info on the subject you may want to dig through the manual a bit to get a grasp on how to record a cue.
Related