Next generation

Hi,
in next generation i would like to have built-in switch with 3 in/out and real dimmer to go to real black :D

Thanks
  • [quote=stephlight]in next generation i would like to have built-in switch with 3 in/out

Are you talking about Cat5 Ethernet switches? A nice thought, but not practical in terms of networking topology. While switches are not bound by the "5-4 Rule" the way hubs and repeaters are, every time you insert one into a network you are creating a collision domain. Having too many collision domains in a nework can actually interfere with communications and slow it all down to the point of being impractical.

If you want to know more about this I highly recommend reading the book "Rock Solid Ethernet" by: Wayne Howell (yes....the same guy from Artistic License who created ArtNet).

Hope this helps explain it a bit:)

[quote=stephlight]and real dimmer to go to real black

Ummm....we already can.....using the mechanical Iris in front of the projectors' lens.
  • [quote=Marty Postma]Are you talking about Cat5 Ethernet switches? A nice thought, but not practical in terms of networking topology. While switches are not bound by the "5-4 Rule" the way hubs and repeaters are, every time you insert one into a network you are creating a collision domain. Having too many collision domains in a nework can actually interfere with communications and slow it all down to the point of being impractical.

That's what i had done on last tour and during 84 shows i had no troubles and a bbuilt in swtich would have been a great help. Perhaps a something like 8 or 10 In/out could be better to have only one switch, or an other built-in system that would enable us to make an easy wiring.

[quote=Marty Postma] Ummm....we already can.....using the mechanical Iris in front of the projectors' lens.

Thanks, I know that there is a mechanical dimmer in the DL2 but it is so slow and ugly that I have to rework all the cues that have that parameter inside.
  • [quote=stephlight]That's what i had done on last tour and during 84 shows i had no troubles and a bbuilt in swtich would have been a great help. Perhaps a something like 8 or 10 In/out could be better to have only one switch, or an other built-in system that would enable us to make an easy wiring.

The problem is that if a switch is built into every unit....then some unexperienced person is going to try and daisy chain their network cables....and this can be disaterous for communication.

[quote=stephlight]Thanks, I know that there is a mechanical dimmer in the DL2 but it is so slow and ugly that I have to rework all the cues that have that parameter inside.

Well I guess it is just personal preference then b/c I find the way the iris works to be very useful especailly for cutting off unwanted "raster-light" for certain shapes.

As far as dimming goes I always dim the GLOBAL first then delay the iris (MOTION to zero) closing by about .5 to .25 seconds....reverse this for a fade up....MOTION up first followed by GLOBAL with a slight delay.....makes everything pretty:D
  • That's what I also do, but sometime I really don't have time to modify times.
  • [quote=stephlight]That's what I also do, but sometime I really don't have time to modify times.

I understand totally...what I do is build several palettes that Use-I and Use-T so all I have to do is select the palette.

example:
    - set Motion and Global to zero
    - set fade time to be 3 seconds for both, and delay time of 0.5 seconds (or maybe even 1 sec) for the Motion
    - record this into the Intensity Directory with Use-I and Use-T (I also prefer to select "Per Type" when making these)

Now you've got a 3sec fade out palette....reverse and repeat for a fade up palette (delay the Global not the Motion).

If you need different fade times you can either record multiple versions of this or simply change the fade time from the cuelist spreadsheet since this will not affect the delay which remains constant in most cases.

Speeds DL.2/AXON programming way up!

Make sense:)
  • I'm totally agree with you, but if we could have better in future, would it not be better?
  • Again....I think it all comes down to personal preference.

Any mechanism that comes in to physically close off the image will not do so completely evenly...I find that the iris on DL.2 looks far better than any other projection douser I've used (motorized flags in front of the lens, internal blackout shutters, mylar or black "gel" strings in front of the lens.....etc).

Additionally I find the iris to be quite useful to cut off the raster of round content/images or anything that is in the center for example....by bringing the iris down to about 60-50% or sometimes even more...can eliminate the extra "video-black" without affecting the brightness of the content.

But apparently you don't like it....and that is OK.....we are just going to have to agree to disagree.:cool:
  • [quote=stephlight]I'm totally agree with you, but if we could have better in future, would it not be better?
    Really, the only way to have a good, even dimmer (such as that in a "normal" automated light) is to have the douser in the light path before it becomes focused. This would require placing the douser inside the projector (where there is basically no room).

As Marty pointed out, fading the global intensity will give you a nice even fade out. The iris was really only ever meant to get rid of the video black so a total blackout was possible.
  • Ok, too bad for me, but i hope one day Christie (or other one) will put mechanical dimmers inside their video projectors.

thanks everybody