Wanting some insight from you wise ones....

So, I'm fairly new to the lighting scene, but I've done my homework, read a couple of books and read the Hog manual twice now. I feel pretty good about the programming aspect (at least w/ the experience I currently have) but I feel a little challenged when it comes to setting up my console for playback. I have a couple of shows coming up where I won't really know the material (live music) until I get there, so I would like to hear some insight from some of you pros out there.
I've heard it referred to as 'busking', or making looks on the fly, so what are some ways you guys might go about doing this? I've thought about using IPCB faders, or putting perhaps colors on a couple of faders, positions on a couple, so on and so forth, but I've not yet really tested them out in a live situation. Are cue stacks useful in this situation, or should I just make a bunch of generic scenes and cue them from the directory?
Anyway, I'm not looking for any 'trade secrets', just some general insight from you wise ones.
Using an iPC by the way...
Thanks all!
  • See, your new and already have the answer, any thing you mention above is use for live shows, don't be fixated on only one or two way to build your show, make it with all the tools the console offer you.
    Make a FOH cuelist HTP fader (white)
    Make a FOH colour cuelist HTP fader (with 2 or 3 cues, each with different colour)
    For every moving light type make is own cuelist (2 or 3 faders)
    Make an IPCB Strobe fader
    All the effect will fire from the cue list directory (147 effects in front of you)
    and all the colour and Gobo, change from the other cuelist directory after you cut it to two.
    That leaves you with 5 empty Faders and a GM with a lot of scenes to put there any fog machine, Leds or a UV lamp, an empty Park window so you can light up the reception area and your director desk lamp and enough veiws with a different layout of the cuelist directory to run the Olympic vie internet at the same time.

Hope this halp

Amir.
  • Chris,

No matter how you setup your desk, remember to "keep it simple". Do not use everything right away. Songs with only 1 or 2 looks are great...
  • I BUILD A PAGE WITH THE COLORS USUALLY 3 AND ONE WHITE AND MAKE IT TEMPLATE

THEN BUILD SOME LOOKS WITH MOVING LITHS NOT FX OR CHASERS BUT STATICS LETS SAT YOU DO ONE WITH MAC 500'S ON THE BACK TRUSS AN 600'S ON FLOOR YO DO ONE WITH ONLY 500'S THAT INCLUDE COLOR GOBO ETC ADN OTHER WITH 600'S ONLY LIKE POINTING TO THE FRONT 45° AND MAKE THE FADERS ON GO RELEASE ON STOP OND FLASH THE SAME PLAY WITH THIS AND YOU WILL GET THE IDEA SO YOU CAN HAVE ONE PAGE FOR SLOW SONGS IF. AND ONE FOR MEDIUM. FAST ETC

regards from cancun
  • A great resource that I like to use when I have no idea what's coming...

www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2177&Itemid=40

This is an article that was written in PLSN by Nook Schoenfeld on "The Ultimate Punt Page." There's a lot of great information to take in.
  • Thats the way i do it:

Having HTP Faders for WASH, SPOT and then 2 cue lists for PAR (like all red all blue, all green, odd red, odd blue, odd green, evem red, evem blue, even green). Setting up a page of scenes with: colors for washs, colors for spots, different strobes for wash & spot, gobos, positions and so on
    Then i do 2 cue list for pan/tilt efx for wash and spots (like pan-saw, tilt-saw, circle, bellywho). If i have strobes a list for the strobes. And last but not least depending if i have a wing or just the console, some htp faders for acl, blinder, smoke, wind and so on
    Takes i while to set up everything, but once it is done you can use it on every show, festival and so one.
    Just duplicate some fixtures, edit the patch,edit the presets an your done.
    And a lot of LDs you meet during a festival are very happy with that kind of "open programming"
  • When programming songs. I tend to try and have one cue-list for the show. I will make the songs very complex, effects, chases etc. But program it simply. I make lots of little chase usually 100+ in the list directory. Then play them back from the directory and record this as a cue, and so on and so forth.

Hope this helps,
Related