Colour calibration

Hi,
I'm am putting a tour together that starts in April 2008 which is going to have either
Robe 700 (wash/spots) or
Martin 700 (wash/spots) as the main fixtures.

This tour is going to run for a while and i would like to program it so that when the fixture types change i can take advantage of the "change type" function to it's best ability within Hog III.
At the moment neither of these groups of fixtures are colour calibrated in the fixture libs.
What's the chances of getting one set of these fixtures(either robe or martin) added as colour calibrated so that the programming will change as accurately as possible.
I understand it's not crucial for the change type function to be have colour calibrated lights but i was always under the impression is was more accurate doing it that way,please let me know if i'm correct on this.

Any posts appreciated.
C
  • Cormac,

We currently are working on restoring the color calibration, but I can not guarentee that we will have any new calibration by April (probably not). I think that you will find the change type will get you very close and of course if you use palettes you can quickly make the changes you need as your fixtures change. Hopefully we will have newly calibrated fixtures later this year.
  • Hi Brad,
    thanks for the quick reply.Ok if the timeline on this was to change over the next few months would be great but later in the year would be good also.
    To add:Just so i'm clear,if i select some fixtures and use the gel picker and then touch the CMY encoders will the HSI values now be ignored and the value will be turned into cmy.

Regards C
  • [quote=cormacjack]I understand it's not crucial for the change type function to be have colour calibrated lights but i was always under the impression is was more accurate doing it that way,please let me know if i'm correct on this.

Cormac,

The colours only translate seamlessly when you build everything in the HSI colour model, AND only if you are Changing Type to another colour calibrated fixture.

Otherwise you will still be able to change type, but you will have to go back and check all your colour palettes, etc, which is a good idea anyway.

Also remember that Slots only change over seamlessly if they have the same name, so checking your palettes that use colour slots is (again) always a good idea anyway.

[quote=bradpepe]We currently are working on restoring the color calibration

Very glad to hear this Brad!:)
  • Hi Marty,
    I was actually trying to get gel picker values back to CMY as they are "there" so to speak and i thought that i could just pull the values back into the programmer somehow and use them.
    Just downloaded a CMY to raw DMX value chart which gives appox values for colours in the LEE and Rosco range and will manually make col pallettes just like i've always done.

thanks for the reply Cormac
  • [quote=cormacjack]I was actually trying to get gel picker values back to CMY as they are "there" so to speak and i thought that i could just pull the values back into the programmer somehow and use them.
    Just downloaded a CMY to raw DMX value chart which gives appox values for colours in the LEE and Rosco range and will manually make col pallettes just like i've always done.

A trick I like to use is to pick the colour you want using HSI and then change to CMY encoders and simply tap one of the CMY encoders which will change all over to CMY.

Note that this only works if your colours are NOT separated under user prefs (ie - "Keep parameters seperate" option OFF for Colour).

If you want to take this one step farther, create a bunch of HSI palettes with a colour calibrated fixture, and then use these as sort of a "reference" to make your CMY palettes. You will not be using the "Allow Refs" in this case, but simply using the HSI paltettes to select your colour and then "tapping" over to CMY to record or merge into separate palettes that you build your cues/scenes from.

Make sense?:) :hogsign:
Related