GM / Changing Pages

IPC running H3 v2.3.1(1932)

I'm not sure if this is working by design, but it seems like a bug to me.

Page 1 and page 2 have a cuelist on fader 1. Page 3 has no cuelist loaded on fader 1. I have the page setting to "remember fader values". With fader 1 down (output coming from other faders), I can toggle between page 1 and 2 as expected with it remembering appropriate values. When I toggle to page 3 the rig blacks out because it now has the Grand Master on fader 1 and that value is at zero. This happens only after turning on the console before giving the GM explicit value - i.e. I can move fader 1 up on page 3, toggle to page 2 and move fader 1 down, toggle back to page 3 and no blackout (as expected).

Hope that makes sense.

It seems when the console starts the GM is assumed to be at full, but that assumed value is not necessarily remembered when changing pages.
  • I think this is as expected because it has been this way as long as I can remember.

In essence the console has not been given a fader-value to "remember" for the GM on startup. So the first time you go to your Page-3 it "sees" it for the first time and responds accordingly.

The quick fix is to put a Cuelist....any Cuelist will do...onto Master-1 on your Page 3.

In fact I find it is always a good practice to build a Template Page with something on Master-1 if you are going to be putting a Cuelist there on any Page. This will save you a whole lot of grief when changing pages and/or creating new ones.

Hope this helps:)
  • Ah, yes. I see it behaves the same way with other HTP faders as well (only they are assumed to be at 0% until you get to their page, at which point they take the fader value). I had naively thought that setting page preferences to "remember fader values" and "leave in background" would mean that I could change pages without fear of changing the output. I guess this isn't necessarily the case. Good to know.

So is the conventional wisdom, then, to run through all your pages prior to a show so that everything has hard fader values to remember?
  • [quote=tedcook]So is the conventional wisdom, then, to run through all your pages prior to a show so that everything has hard fader values to remember?

I step through all my pages anyway before a show for other reasons....to be honest I almost never use the "leave in background" or "remember fader values" options so maybe others who use this more have an opinion on this.

I really only use these when doing something that requires a bunch of Inhibitive Masters (like a shoot), and then I typically only use 2 pages at a time....1 for inhibitors and another for whatever else...movers, LEDs, DLs, media-servers, etc.
Related