Rate wheel broken??

During show today I noticed that my rate wheel was not responding the way it should do. It does not spring back to it's "zero" position.
It looks to me, like its spring came off.
It still responds just fine when you move it. (I noticed it when suddenly my 2,5 minute fade took about the blink of an eye)

I find this a bit strange because it was working perfectly the day before and the console hasn't been moved since then.

Is this something I can check / repair by myself because i've got shows all week and next week to, so there is no time to take it to the doctor!

Greetz,

Danny den Bekker
  • Danny,

You could remove the front panel and check the wheel on the Front panel board. This is your best bet if you do not have any time to take it back to the shop. However you need to use caution and ensure that all connections are correct. Section 39.2 explains how to remove the front panel. Of course the best option is to contact our support department directly at +1 800 890 8989 or support@flyingpig.com

thanks,
  • Hi Brad,

I opend the front panel, but that's not sufficient to get to the wheel.
    I find it too risky to do it myself so i'll leave it up to the pro's!

For the moment i can handle it the way it is. Just some tape over the wheel in it's "zero" position.

But thanks for the tip!

Greetz,

Danny den Bekker
  • [quote=Danny]I opend the front panel, but that's not sufficient to get to the wheel.
    I find it too risky to do it myself so i'll leave it up to the pro's!

You have to lift up the front panel PCB as well, not just the aluminum cover.

It is not too hard, but if you are uncomfortable doing this, then it is best to leave it up to someone else.

There are (x9) 2mm hex screws+washers holding down the PCB, and they are all on the outermost sides of the board.

There are another (x9) 2mm hex screws+washers holding in the Rate-wheel, I-wheel, and a spacer. These are located more to the middle of the board. Do not remove these.

Once you have the PCB free, pick it straight up by holding the Rate-wheel and I-Wheel. Tilt the board forward to look at the underside.

You should be able to see the two thin metal prongs protruding down from the Rate-wheel (they look like a straightened paper-clip, one on each side of the plastic stops in the center of the assembly). If you do not see this look for pieces inside the chassis to tell you if the spring has broken or simply slipped loose.

The wheel can be disconnected by removing the (x3) 2mm hex screws from the top of the PCB. Then you can either fix it or put a replacement in.

This all is not too hard, but must be done carefully b/c the PCB is VERY expensive.

Again, if you don't feel comfortable doing this, then have someone qualified in service do it for you.

Hope this helps.:)
  • Thanks Marty,

That little walktrough helped a lot!
    It seems to be working fine right now.

Greetz,

Danny den bekker
Related