XP Vs. Vista and Mac OS

There are many lighting designer/programmers that are not interested in going to the new Vista OS. It is obvious that before too long just as Hog II is no longer supported or updated further, XP OS will soon find the same fate leaving us to yet again suffer with another unstable microsoft OS.
Mac OS has proven to be the most stable and less problematic of any OS software out there.

Do you have any reason not to make the Hog OS work with Mac OS without having to run XP on a Mac?
I think it would be worth looking at. Many are going to the new Mac computers as the OS is reliable and more efficient.
  • Hi Jeff,

We are currently working on support for Hog 3PC on Windows Vista. As for Mac OS, there is no current timeline for implementation of such. Currently running XP on a Mac works for most customers.
  • Personally I find Vista the single most frustrating piece of software I own. It frequently hangs and I get the Vista hourglass for no apparent reason. Outlook and IE run very slowly when compared with my XP machine which has half the hardware capabilities, and go into the “not responding” mode at least once a session.

At worst I would be very worried about running a show under such conditions and at best in no rush.
    I use my Mac as a wireless remote all the time with Bootcamp and have also had no issues with Parallels.

Ross
  • I bought a new system from Alienware last october, and they advised me to install XP. So I did, and no regrets with that as I hear many people around me with Vista-problems.

Gr.
    Pim
  • Hog 3 is written in C++/Qt3 right? I develop open source apps in Qt4, and have very little problems porting them to both Windows and OSX (I am on Linux usually).

I don't see why it would be that hard to do a OSX version assuming you are not using to much Windows API stuff, maybe we can get a Linux version one day after that?
  • [quote=JeffM]There are many lighting designer/programmers that are not interested in going to the new Vista OS. It is obvious that before too long just as Hog II is no longer supported or updated further, XP OS will soon find the same fate leaving us to yet again suffer with another unstable microsoft OS.
    Mac OS has proven to be the most stable and less problematic of any OS software out there.

I agree that Vista is a bad choice, this is why almost every PC manufacturer is still offering XP if you ask for it when you buy a new machine. XP won't be going anywhere anytime soon not only b/c of the compatibility issues with XP software programs, but Vista is a resource MONSTER and eats up tons just sitting idle.

Mac OS isn't perfect either....Tiger was great, but Leopard is very broken right now, and Apple has never been interesting in offering backwards compatibility. You cannot even buy a new machine with Tiger on it even if you ask for it...they force you to have Leopard. (Believe me this is driving CATALYST programmers and users absolutely crazy right now).

I don't want to turn this into a Mac vs PC war :nono: , b/c they both have their merits....you will simply have to investigate the strengths and weaknesses of both and make a decision based on your application needs.

Hope this helps.:)

[quote=PimmerPacK]I bought a new system from Alienware last october, and they advised me to install XP. So I did, and no regrets with that as I hear many people around me with Vista-problems.

I have been using ALIENWARE for many years now as well...best mobile PC machines made for power users....hands down.
  • ...Mac OS isn't perfect either....Tiger was great,...

after some month, isn't it the same with each new software from each company?

...but Leopard is very broken right now...

not real, i use leopard in many different shows and hardware setups in the last 2 month, but you can use them only if you have hardware, where exists leopard updates

...(Believe me this is driving CATALYST programmers and users absolutely crazy right now)...

i haven't any trouble in the last two month with catalyst and leopard. i use leopard while quartz have a lot of new stuff in it. the main thing with catalyst - is software only and so you have to learn and understand osx and your hardware. fe you can run 4k movies but not with each hardware, and runs also in leopard. of course they have performance problems, but hopefully it's just a question of the next month. it is a big step to 64 bit.

at last hopefully hog software is also coming soon on mac osx. some manufacturer did it in the last time. i changed to osx six years ago, and actually i never miss my windows time!
  • I would have to agree,
    I switched to OSX a year or so ago, And I have found I greatly prefer working on Macs.

As for the alienware laptops, they do make great laptops,
    but according to PC World magazine the second fastest laptop running Vista was a Macbook Pro.
    (First place is taken by a Eurocom D900C Phantom-X which retails for just over 5000$)
    So that being said, even if I had to buy a Computer just for Windows, I probably would still buy a Mac. (Unless I was trying to get a budget computer)

That being said, the last thing on earth I want on my Mac is Windows..
    I like having the option, but would hate to sacrifice the hard drive space to a second partition just to run one app.
    Thus, I would greatly like the option of having Hog 3 on my Mac...

I do agree Leopard has some issues,
    It does not run catalyst as well as Tiger did, but hopefully that will be figured out in the next month or so.
    But luckily, you can install tiger on new machines, you just can't buy it with it.

Of course I do respect everyone elses opinion, but thought I would share mine.

Joshua Wood
  • ;) and do not forgot steve jobs the osx standard version cost 129$, premium version cost 129$, ultimate version cost 129$

to have hog os on mac is not only a question of a separate partition for only one software and the to expensive operating system. in the last two years many technicians, operators and designers changed to macbook pro's. it is uninteresting how much windows licenses we have worldwide, not all of the windows users works in our business.

you absolutely right joshua...Of course I do respect everyone elses opinion, but thought I would share mine...
  • I use HogPC under WMWare on Linux. Works great. I already had VMware Workstation installed with WindowsXP as I need to use AutoCAD. Its the easiest solution, and I belive something similar is available on the Mac.
  • Hi,
    Is there any chance that Hog Pc run under windows server 2003, or Xp x64, or Vista x64, because i have 4Go of Ram and x32 Os don't like too many ideas:D.
    Thanks
  • From the Hog3PC download page:

Hog 3PC requires Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2, 256 MB RAM, and 200 MB Hard-disk space.
  • [quote=Mike Redmer] i use leopard in many different shows and hardware setups in the last 2 month, but you can use them only if you have hardware, where exists leopard updates

...(Believe me this is driving CATALYST programmers and users absolutely crazy right now)...

i haven't any trouble in the last two month with catalyst and leopard. i use leopard while quartz have a lot of new stuff in it. the main thing with catalyst - is software only and so you have to learn and understand osx and your hardware. fe you can run 4k movies but not with each hardware, and runs also in leopard. of course they have performance problems, but hopefully it's just a question of the next month. it is a big step to 64 bit.

Here is a link one of several threads in the CATALYST forums on some of the troubles Leopard is posing right now:

chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=1324

The X1900XT RADEON cards overheat, and the software performs very poorly right now.

Make no mistake here...Leopard is is MUCH MUCH better shape than Vista, and probably will have the bugs worked out faster. It is the fact that there is not even an option to aquire Tiger when buying a new machine is what really annoys me!!

Even programs like Vectorworks are affected...if you don't have the latest version, it won't run on Leopard.

I use both Mac and PC....each is suited for tasks better than the other...there is no "cookie cutter" solution here.

If the perfect computer existed, then everyone would buy that and there would be no others...and life would be rather dull;)
  • [quote=Lighting Guy]From the Hog3PC download page:

Hog 3PC requires Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2, 256 MB RAM, and 200 MB Hard-disk space.

I know that but i just finish the worksatation for wysiwyg, and i have XP pro SP2 and 4Go of Ram but this version of Xp had don't want of my 4 Go. There's two Windows XP versions, x32 et x64, and soon it will be compatible with Vista that also existe in X32 and X64.
  • [quote=stephlight]Hi,
    Is there any chance that Hog Pc run under windows server 2003
    absolutely. prior to Vista, Server 2003 was the only OS i would use for both 2PC and 3PC.

this thread has some instructions. they're not the best instructions, in fact they describe doing things in a very incorrect way, but it will get you where you need to be.
  • Thanks for your help, Wysiwyg is runing under Xp x64 so i will test it, if i have trouble, i will use hog 3, and Hog 3 Pc via a Laptop.
Related