VL2500 always off-axis / Touchscreens

MoonchildMoonchild Registered User
Just though I would ask if anyone knows a way around this problem..

My current supplier has been providing me with a HogIPC which I use in Hog 3 mode. I have noticed that the VL2500 Spots are always off-axis in their supposed 0 degree position.. they seem to be 3 or 4 degrees out. This gets really annoying, as in have to go down to the stage with a radio and stare at a fixture while someone pans it for me, then save that as a new 'Home' position preset. The same seems to happen with VL2000s, but not with Macs. Any ideas?

<rant>

Also, just want to say the touch screens on the IPC are a total waste of time. Why even bother including them.. could make the console cheaper by just having normal monitors.

Even right after calibrating them, they are so far off that I can rarely type the name of a new show without numerous errors. The offset seems to be different depending where on the screen I am too.. so at the top it may be too high, at the bottom too low or to the left.

Usually trying to click for example 'Patch' from the setup menu is impossible.. even banging my finger right against the edge of the screen. I have tried calibrating 'roughly' with my whole finger and 'accurately' with a PDA pen.. both end up the same.

</rant>

Comments

• BodhiBodhi Registered User
    edited January 2008
    VL 2000's indeed have an offset of about 7 degree's. You could align them with other fixtures in the "edit fixtures" in the patch. Just change the pan -7 degrees. ( or was it +? )

Bhagat
  • MoonchildMoonchild Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Thanks fort he reply. That is what I have been doing so far, but I though there must be a better way.

All nice when you have everything hanging the same way, or nothing is flipped. When you have 120 fixtures with some pan-inverted, some hanging one way around and some the other.. it's a lot of work.

Why does is 7 degree thing happen? I'm pretty sure it's only with the Hog, not with other consoles.
  • BodhiBodhi Registered User
    edited January 2008
    I don't know exactly why VL's have this offset, but if you want to know for sure if it's desk related, just start them without DMX and see if there's still an offset...
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Moonchild wrote:
    Even right after calibrating them, they are so far off that I can rarely type the name of a new show without numerous errors. The offset seems to be different depending where on the screen I am too.. so at the top it may be too high, at the bottom too low or to the left.

This should not be happening....you may have a bad monitor that needs replacement. Call support @ (800) 890-8989 and they will help you out.:)
  • Innovative IlluminationsInnovative Illuminations Registered User
    edited January 2008
    I have had the same problem of incorrect screen calibration with the touch screens on a couple of IPC's I've used before. I don't believe the screens are as accurate as the one's on the HOG III.
  • QueerdooQueerdoo Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Mayb you don't calibrate the screens correctly?

I have no problems at all with my touchscreens on my iPC since december '05.
  • Innovative IlluminationsInnovative Illuminations Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Queerdoo wrote:
    Mayb you don't calibrate the screens correctly?

I have no problems at all with my touchscreens on my iPC since december '05.

I know how to clibrate screens.... I've had IPC's and Hog III's with bad screens and some that work great. Becuase your screens work fine doesn't mean there's a shortage faulty and abused equipment on the market.

:hogsign:
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited January 2008
    All,

If you are having problems with calibration, first I suggest that you install the lastet full XPe image. Then if the problem continues please contact our support department directly for further assistance. 800-890-8989 or support@flyingpig.com

We have shipped hundreds of Hog iPCs and this is not a common problem. We are happy to assist to ensure that your screens work as expected.

thanks,
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited January 2008
    Brad....

Any ideas on the Vari-lite off-axis issue? I believe I reported this back in the 1.x days.

I know I've experienced it with VL2000's and VL2500's. I have not noticed it with VL1K's.

Or would this be a Steve issue and we should report it in the library requests?
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the info about the Touch Screens. Since it has happend on every IPC I have used, I assumed it was a flaw in the screens themselves.

Suppliers here sadly don't look after their equipment at all, so I guess that I have just been unlucky. I will update the Console for them this Thursday when I have a load in with plenty of time to spare, and if the problems persist I'll get hold of the owner and see if he can get them check out by the local dealer (who is always very helpfull when I need anything from them).

I guess I will just have to live with the VL problem.

Just a though, could it be that 0 degree value is wrong in the library? It is possible that full pan Clockwise is not the same as full pan Anti-clockwise on those fixtures, so 0 would not be the middle value? I will do some further investigation...
  • SteveSteve Registered User, HES Staff
    edited January 2008
    With regards the 'off axis' of the VL fixtures. I can tell you that there is nothing out of the ordinary with regards the pan and tilt channel definitions for these fixtures. The default vlaues should be the mid-point of the DMX range.

It may be as suggested that these fixtures have an uneven range from the zero point (i.e. 268 degrees clockwise and 274 anti-clockwise)?

Is this seen on both pan and tilt?

Thanks,

Steve
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited January 2008
    Steve,

I only see it on Pan. Like has been mentioned, I have seen this on VL2000's (Spot and Wash) along with VL2500 (only used Spots).

I have not seen this on VL1000's.

J
    edited January 2008
    Yea, same. Only on Pan, titlt seems normal, and only with VL2000 Spots and VL2500 Spots (never tried the washes so can't be sure).