"In Lib" Palettes

stephlightstephlight Registered User
Hi,
yesterday we were talking about the Hog III with a friend, when he had a good idea that I find very usefull, a new option for palettes to automatically recover values that are in those palettes when we use the auto palette function in Patch.

For example, I create a new show in which I use for the first time X spot EX, so I create all palettes I need for the show, colors, positions, beams and for those which I often need, I would select the “in lib” function (name could be change it’s for a best understanding), and those palettes will be saved separately in a special place of the hard drive, where it could be reloaded or saved when we do a clean install.
Next time I will need to use this fixture type, when I will press the auto palette function, all “In Lib” palettes containing values referring to this type of fixture will automatically be reloaded.

thanks
Stéph

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Hey Steph,

We can already effectively do this by merging showfiles....I do this quite a bit especially with DL.2s. Simply merge in only your Palettes.

This also allows you to be able to make use of newer fixture profiles when updates are made.

The advantage this has that you can take your showfile to any desk....whereas if they lived in a separate partition of the hard-drive they would be different from desk to desk.

Just a different way of doing essentially the same thing.
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited January 2008
    I don’t think it is a “different way of doing essentially the same thing “, because I give an example with one type, but imagine the same with 4 or 5 fixture or more types, you should:
    Copy four or five shows to have all palettes (and keep all shows with all different types).
    Uses merge four or five times.
    You couldn’t choose palettes to merges, so you should delete palettes you don’t need.
    With “In lib” option you would have one file to copy (it could be in show directory that exist in all desks), and all would be done in one tine and few seconds and for all type and you would only have palettes you need.
    You could also use new profile, or that the profile is changing but the type has remained the same, either by using the change type function.
    edited January 2008
    So you are thinking more along the lines of another type of preference file that could be exported/imported into showfiles in addition to the user prefs.

I agree this would defintely be easier than doing multiple MERGE operations for different fixture types, but I don't think a separate partition is really needed to do this since the file could be imported from CD/Zip/USB just like user prefs and showfiles.

Maybe this should be called "Palette Prefs" or something:)
    edited January 2008
    Yes that could be assimilat to a other type of preference, "Lib pref" :D, partition has no real significance for this idea.

"Palette pref" or "palette lib" could be the name of the file.
    edited January 2008
    stephlight wrote:
    "Palette pref" or "palette lib" could be the name of the file.

"Palette pref 00" or "palette lib 00" could be the name of the file, we must have numbers to have the oportunity to use more than one file in one show!:D
    edited January 2008
    So nobody else has ideas on that suggestion, i would really loved to see that function in my Hog III.
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2008
    Well I vote for this also!! It would be really nice feature to save your palettes in a separate file. You could open your palette file (there could be several ways to sort the data there) and you could choose the palettes you want to be merged to your show. This would be very nice with FX also...
    edited January 2008
    srautane wrote:
    Well I vote for this also!! It would be really nice feature to save your palettes in a separate file. You could open your palette file (there could be several ways to sort the data there) and you could choose the palettes you want to be merged to your show. This would be very nice with FX also...

At the base, you can't choose witch palettes you want to merge, when you use a fixture type for first time (or not) you select option "In lib" for palettes you will use many times in all shows, and next time you will use this fixture type, when you will press " auto palette" all the "in lib" palattes will be recall in the show.
    edited February 2008
    This last days i'm programming 2 DL2 in a theater, as i had already used this fixture type last year, i would not loose 1 houre to record again all libs i need.
    edited February 2008
    stephlight wrote:
    This last days i'm programming 2 DL2 in a theater, as i had already used this fixture type last year, i would not loose 1 houre to record again all libs i need.

You can save your time already....here is a great example of when to Merge your old palettes into your new show.

I do this all the time for DL.2 and Catalyst shows especially.
    edited February 2008
    Thanks Maty, I know that point but we need to merges all palettes and after to clean what we don't need, it is a beat better with one type but if you are using 2, 3 or more fixture types that's really boring
    edited February 2008
    stephlight wrote:
    it is a beat better with one type but if you are using 2, 3 or more fixture types that's really boring

2 things you can do to speed up showfile merging:

1 - Expand a new version of your old show and delete anything you don't want to merge, then merge this pared down version.

2 - Merge you old data in before you create any palettes in your new show.
    edited February 2008
    Yes, I'm completly ok with you but this is only interresting for one fixture if you need to merge from differents shows it's coming to be difficult and not easy. What i'm trying to have is an easy and fast solution evry times.