Cyber 5/32 Super Long Allen Wrench

ThatsMrLights2UThatsMrLights2U Registered User
edited January 2008 in HES Automated Lighting
After about a week or so of looking around, I can't seem to find anywhere to buy a hex/allen wrench long enough to get into the base of the light to get anything out. Anyone have a suggestion on where to find a 12-15" hex ext to get in there? I really don't want to have to take the sled out for some of these simple repairs.

Also, while I'm digging, am I going to need any other sizes in super long as well (so far I've found a need for 9/64, 1/16, 5/64, 7/64, but all in normal 7" or typical key sizes)

Thanks!

Comments

• Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited January 2008
    mcmaster.com
    Look at Catalog page 6790,
    they have up to 24" long wrenches.
    and they have replaceable tips for when it gets dull or broken.
    Joshua Wood
  • zafflaxzafflax Registered User
    edited January 2008
    I do a lot of install work with a university as well as work in their theatre, and i happen to find my allen wrench to be the same one that i used for flat screen lcd mounts, i don't know if you could check with one of those company's for one (chief mounting is a big one i think) but it really made a HUGE!!!! :notworthy: difference when i was working on my cybers. was kind of luck that i had it... but i always knew it was there ;) what exactly do you have to do? I found only a need for the super long one to unscrew my wheels and mounts from the back. regular sizes worked for me pretty much after that (simple home depot run :poke: )

_matt
  • zafflaxzafflax Registered User
    edited January 2008
    yah.... his is better :finger: lol good luck!!!
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited January 2008
    i got one from my sales guy. Its about a 2' T handle. It works miracles. I have also used a torques head on a 1/4" 2' long extension and it works well also. But the T handle allen wrench works the best.
  • PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited January 2008
    I use the XCELITE 99PS ALLEN HEX DRIVER SET WITH A 12" EXTENSION.:notworthy:
    Dull end? I use a die grinder to cut it down 1/8" at a time and new ones are easy to get. I also use the metric set also for X Spots and Martin gear. I swear by these and use them every day.:D :D :D
  • ThatsMrLights2UThatsMrLights2U Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Thanks Guys ... Ordered a whole set of them!
  • MadogMadog Registered User
    edited January 2008
    I'm a huge fan of ball head allen wrenches. I have a set of 6" ones for a socket wrench. I add an extension for the deep bits on the Cybers.
  • PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Madog wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of ball head allen wrenches. I have a set of 6" ones for a socket wrench. I add an extension for the deep bits on the Cybers.

NOT!:nono: Ball ends are not cool. They have little contact with the sides and tend to strip them. Ben there done that. I no longer use'em and dont allow them in my shop. Yes, I screwed up many a tiny allen insert with ball ends. Trust me in the long run they suck.:headbang:
    edited January 2008
    With ball ends, they are great with the bigger sizes BUT YOU CANNOT BUY THE CHEAP ONES. Husky or Craftsman both work well. If the allen screw feels really tight i switch over to regular allen wrenches.
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited January 2008
    To be honest, I would consider husky and craftsman to both be the cheap ones,
    If you were to force me to use a ball end, I would use the Bondhus, or xcelite..
    Joshua wood
    edited January 2008
    I have my "special allen wrench set" that i'm completely anal about that i normally use. I forget who makes it off the top of my head but its titanium and made in germany. It beats anything else i have.