DL2 getting brighter?

jthatcherjthatcher Registered User, Hog Beta
edited January 2008 in DL.3/DL.2
Just curious where the DL2 is headed brightness wise. I have seen the Christie website and it seems that they have no new models that match the specifications of the LX55. Is this as bright as it gets for the while or is there going to be anything newer or brighter in the near future?

Also, has there been any real discussions about the amount of fan noise it produces? Trying very hard to incorporate them in to the feature film world. So far these are the top reasons they are getting cancelled from orders.

Thanks,

Comments

  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2008
    Just curious, would a DL1 using an Axon be less noise, by having the server part away from the set? I'm just assuming a DL1 head is not as noisy as as a DL2 with the onboard computer.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Well sooner or later a newer/better projector will come along and then the DL.3 or something will have to be developed....I think the LX-55 is what we're looking at for a while yet. There is already the LX-650 which is 6500 lumens, bu the lamp loads from the side rather than the rear, so this poses a problem as an upgrade to DL.2 without re-engineering the whole head.

    A DL.1 might be slightly quieter than a DL.2, but you will run into problems with repeatable positions if you Collage them, especially if you have longer throws due to the difference in Pan/Tilt resolution.

    The best way to make sure that the noise from a DL.2 is reduced as much as possible is to clean all the foam pre-filters and put in a new HEPA. As the filter clogs the fans have to work harder to maintain proper airflow. The ammount of cool air circulating around the unit will also make a difference in fan speed.

    If you need brighter, then go with a Christie Roadster with an Orbital Head and an AXON.
  • jthatcherjthatcher Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2008
    I saw the 650. It also is heavier and slightly larger. Bummer:sad:

    The tip on the filters is a good one and I iwll give that a try in the future.
  • jthatcherjthatcher Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2008
    [quote=If you need brighter, then go with a Christie Roadster with an Orbital Head and an AXON.[/quote]

    That would also be a good solution. What makes the DL2 package such a good option for us, and others as well, is the system is all self contained and portable. We move things contantly for different shots and rarely are they easy to get to. Running the extra cables causes even the DL1 with a media server difficult to use in a majority of the situations. Manly becuase of time and then the opportunity for error.

    Thanks for your input. Will look at the Roadster and Orbital Head. Never used one.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited January 2008
    jthatcher wrote:
    What makes the DL2 package such a good option for us, and others as well, is the system is all self contained and portable. We move things contantly for different shots and rarely are they easy to get to. Running the extra cables causes even the DL1 with a media server difficult to use in a majority of the situations. Manly becuase of time and then the opportunity for error.

    I agree with you completely on that

    Two nice things about the Roadsters:

    1-that the Orbital Heads now mount directly to the projector...no messing around with unistrut parts like with the old/original orbital heads or other projctor models.

    2-you can put whatever lens you like on the projector

    Two disadvatages:

    1-you lose the pysical blackout iris from the DL.2...this can be partially ovecome by simply fading out your image and then moving the head to not see the black raster box.

    2-no DMX control of focus and zoom of the projector...all done either by handheld remote or a serial interface.
  • schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited January 2008
    I agree with you completely on that

    Two nice things about the Roadsters:

    1-that the Orbital Heads now mount directly to the projector...no messing around with unistrut parts like with the old/original orbital heads or other projctor models.

    2-you can put whatever lens you like on the projector

    Two disadvatages:

    1-you lose the pysical blackout iris from the DL.2...this can be partially ovecome by simply fading out your image and then moving the head to not see the black raster box.

    2-no DMX control of focus and zoom of the projector...all done either by handheld remote or a serial interface.
    Marty,

    We have added some DMX control of the projectors themselves, done through the serial port on the Orbital Head control box. One of the functions that we have added is the ability to control the blackout shutter built into the Roadster projector allowing for an on-the-fly complete black out. We have also added focus and zoom control of the lens if applicable. I know both of these functions work on the 16 and 20k Roadsters.

    One disadvantage that you didn't touch on that I feel is a big one is the movement of the Orbital Head as compared to the DL.2 head. The DL.2 moves linearly from one point to another, while the Orbital Head moves in arcs. Also, depending on which function you adjust on the Orbital Head (pan or tilt) it will also cause the image to rotate. Both of these things can make is a bit difficult to get the output of the projector into the correct place with the correct orientation. It's by far not impossible, but requires a bit more thought when placing/orienting the projector and the Orbital Head.

    Regards,
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited January 2008
    schiefels wrote:
    We have added some DMX control of the projectors themselves, done through the serial port on the Orbital Head control box. One of the functions that we have added is the ability to control the blackout shutter built into the Roadster projector allowing for an on-the-fly complete black out. We have also added focus and zoom control of the lens if applicable. I know both of these functions work on the 16 and 20k Roadsters.

    Sweet! I didn't realize that. To be honest I haven't used an orbital head since the original model way back in the day.
    schiefels wrote:
    One disadvantage that you didn't touch on that I feel is a big one is the movement of the Orbital Head as compared to the DL.2 head. The DL.2 moves linearly from one point to another, while the Orbital Head moves in arcs. Also, depending on which function you adjust on the Orbital Head (pan or tilt) it will also cause the image to rotate. Both of these things can make is a bit difficult to get the output of the projector into the correct place with the correct orientation. It's by far not impossible, but requires a bit more thought when placing/orienting the projector and the Orbital Head.

    As Microsoft would say "That's not a bug....that's a feature" ;)

    Yes, I agree programming the orbital heads is a little bit tricker than a DL.2.

    The rotational problem is usually fairly easily overcome with Z-axis rotation though....just like the old Cybers and Technos that rotate their gobos in sync with the Pan to compensate. Although it is not always quite that simple witha 3:4 aspect box as opposed to a round beam, especially when Global Keystone is applied as well.

    Another way to get more brightness is to use more DL.2s and "stack" them. This can also be done with Collage + stack....the drawback is that you need double the number of units, and be very careful how you place them.:D
  • Diztortion SinfernoDiztortion Sinferno Registered User
    edited January 2008
    During LDI this year Barco demonstrated it's new DML-1200 by invitation. I was lucky enough to get a seat. 10,000 lumen DLP set-up that really took the old ICON theory to the next level.

    Don't get me wrong. I like working with the DL2's, but I'm excited to see some new ideas and perhaps creating a little competition. No doubt the next HES DL spawn will be as impressive.:)
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited January 2008
    I was at the same demo, but apparently, I feel the complete opposite of you regarding the DML.

    I was very underwhelmed after all of the hype.
Sign In or Register to comment.