Lighting Advise

Ed KazzEd Kazz Registered User
edited January 2008 in HES Automated Lighting
Sorry to bother the professionals but, I am stuck between the mickey mouse equipment forums (american dj , chauvet...) and the pro's. Anyway
I am a small time lighting DJ looking for some advise. My current setup includes...15 Powerscan 250MRs,2 Martin 518's,2 Wizards,2 Kryptons,1 Atomic 3000 and 1 Technobeam. It seems like something is missing. Would some color changers help? I was looking at the Martin CX-10's would the High-End color pro HX be a better choice? Should I invest in more Technobeams (MX-10's)? The work I do is mainly mobile. Any suggestions would be great!!!
Thanks for any Help
Ed

Comments

• ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited December 2007
    Ed,

It would help to know a few things...

Do you get to use (or are allowed to use) haze?
    What do you use to control everything?

I have used some Martin Mania SCX500 and SCX700 in some seasonal one-offs and always thought they would be good for DJ type setup. They have Audio trigger input too and lots of built in macros you can select from DMX.

Cat
  • Ed KazzEd Kazz Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I use the Le Maitre neutron hazer and lightjockey (with fingers and touch-screens). I hate to go to a 150 discharge lamp when everything is a 250. What do you think of led washes (comar iWash) ? Love this lighting stuff. It just seems I am missing something in my setup!
    Thanks
    Ed
    edited December 2007
    Ed,

I have used both the Coemar ParLED and the Thomas Micro W.
    LED's are great for color wash and truss warmers. Also they're light in weight and cool to the touch.

Do you use most of your current rig for the "bash and trash" effects?

If so the LEDs make a good color wash for the dance floor. Also, good for color washing the under side of tents (ever play in any of those?).

I think some others will have good advice for you too after the holiday's have passed.

In the meantime, how do you setup your current rig?

Cat
    edited December 2007
    Hey Chris,

Striaght 25' truss (nothing fancy). I can get a deal on some c-X10 or High-End color pro HX (5 each). Would this be better than the LED counterparts?
    Thanks
    Ed
    edited December 2007
    Ed,

How do you use the fixtures you have now?
    Where, or what, are they focused on?
    Got any pics you can post?

Sounds like most of what you already have is good for air effects in the haze.

Do you wash the stage with colors?

Cat
    edited December 2007
    Hi Chris,

Boy the last thing on my mind is the pictures...I had found some old ones pre-party (don't laugh).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYLJaD50BPI
  • mikewoodldmikewoodld Registered User
    edited December 2007
    one thing that I noticed that would bother me from your video is that all of your lighting is coming from on spot. I don't know if it would work out on all your gigs, but having your instruments in different locations might make a huge difference. Maybe invest in some crank-up towers or something and put them on other corners of the room so that you can have different directionality.
    edited December 2007
    I hear you about pictures. I'm always having to get pics form "the other guys" in our shows.

I agree with Mike on the multiple locations if possible.

From your video I can see you certainly have the capability to get the fixtures you have moving to the groove.

Do you have more subtle looks like all blue (little to no motion) for a slow song? That would be where the LED fixtures would play nice to wash the dance floor or even the ceiling to set the mood for a song. Fast or slow songs.

If you do go with LED fixtures demo them first because the cheaper ones won't have the punch you need.

Cat
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions...
    I have ordered more truss and since then added 4 technobeams also placed an ordered for 5 cx-10 (today).Missed a great deal on some x-spots ($1700.00 each) Oh well. The video was shot before the party was started an was running some pre-made cues (lightjockey).
    Ed
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Trust me, you will be paying more for those x-spots than 1700 more than likely pretty soon down the road. Todays x-spot repair bill came out to be 5000 in new parts. Thankfully there is light parts to fix all of these stupid powersupplies. Which will bring the bill to be about 1400