Obsession 1 to midi trigger Hog3 problem

We are running an ETC Obsession 1 ( our house conventional board) to trigger the Hog3 cues via midi.

My problem is, we can not get the Hog3 to trigger from the Obsession. We just did this about 2 months ago
on a local production of Man of La Mancha. We had the boards hooked up and they performed fine with the go button of the Obsession doing all the triggering.

On the Hog3
The Hog3 is currently running software 2.2.2.
We are using a midi cable, going midi OUT from the Obsession to the midi IN of the Hog3.
I keep checking the SETUP-NETWORK-SETTINGS screen to make sure our midi address " 1 " is good.
I keep checking that midi is enabled.

On the Obsession
We have MSC enabled and it's midi address is set to " 1 "

I know this can be a simple thing to do, but I must be overlooking one particular, important step.

Any help or tips would be most appreciated. We are running the show right now as a 2 board show, meaning one board operator is having to push two GO buttons. So the show will go on but hopefully we are just looking to automate the whole process like we have done before.

I was curious if the Hog 2.2.2 software had a midi bug.

Thanks
  • No MIDI bug that I know of....

A few things to check.

1 - On the Hog-3, is the "Choose" button lit blue over the cuelist you want to fire via MSC? If not then, depending on the type of MSC command coming out from the ETC console the Hog will not fire where you want it to.

2 - Check and see exactly what the command is that the Hog-3 is seeing. Hold down OPEN and then select EVENTS from the bottom of the right hand screeen. Then uncheck all the options except MIDI from the Event Monitor window. Now try firing a cue from the ETC and see what the command is. Then fire a cue manually on the H-3 and see what that command is. Comparing the two commands might give you a clue as to what is going wrong.

It is exactly reasons like this that I much prefer to use (2) Hog-3 consoles when two programmers are needed networked together, so that once programming is done the show can be run from a single desk. However, I do realize that this is not necessarily an option for everyone.

Hope this helps:)
  • Steven,

As I just emailed you, please upgrade to v2.3.0 as there are important improvements regarding MIDI and how the Wholehog responds to single cuelist desks as you describe.

This should solve your problem.
  • Our board operator and I felt a little uneasy about upgrading the software in the middle of the show's run, especially being the Christmas holidays, etc.

However the board operator did come up with a workaround to make it easy on him. He reversed the midi cable connections and is now using the Hog to trigger the Obsession. The cuelists on both boards are identical in their numbering. This is good enough to get us through 4 more shows. The Hog3 is sending midi in OS v2.2.2

I will upgrade the OS after this shows run and test the Obsession with it.
  • Thanks Steven,

I am glad to hear you found something that works for you. The problem is due to the fact that the Obsession does not send a cuelsit number in its MIDI message, so the reverse direction does work...
Related