Aurora Borealis effect

Hi folks:

I am looking to create an effect similar to the aurora borealis (northern lights)

I have a set of 8 independant heads in a straight line across the front of the cyc (rgb LEDs) i want to set up an effect where they change color (say from blue to cyan to light green and back to blue) in a ripple pattern in sequence one after the other. Im not sure how to make this happen. I know the effects engine is very powerful, im just not having success getting it to happen

Thanks

TIM

w8tahradio@gmail.com

w8tahradio on gtalk
w8tahham on AIM
w8tah on yahoo
w8tah@hotmail.com on MSN
  • Using the RGB LED profile

Set Cyan and Intensity to full, set Magenta to 50%, set Yellow to 25%.

In FX put a SINE on Magenta + Yellow, & set your rate (maybe 1 or 2 cycles?).

In programmer, go to Offsets. Select the Magenta column by clicking + dragging from top to bottom. Then type 0>315. Next select the first 4 Yellow in the column from top to bottom and type 180>315. Select the last 4 Yelow in the column from top to bottom and type 0>145 ***EDIT*** should be 0>135, not 145...sorry***.

You are essentially fanning out the magentas and then individually offsetting the yellows by 180.

If you want even more movement, add an FX table to your intensity.

Another option is to build a chase or linked cue list to get EXACTLY what you want.

Hope this helps:)
  • Along the same lines, you could try applying an effect to your Hue and Saturation. A similar starting point to Marty's might be this:

Set Hue to 180 degrees (Cyan) and Color Intensity to ~90%.

Put a Sine function on your Hue with a size of ~30%.

Offset the Hue FX of each fixture separately, or use FAN to offset them as you like.

Put a Sine function on your Color Intensity of ~5-10%.

Offset the Hue FX of each fixture separately, or use FAN to offset them as you like.

--

Other elements to try...

Offset the Hue and Color Intensity FX differently, so that different colors are getting different intensities. This will give it a more 'random' appearance.

Apply a Saw-Tooth function to either of the FX (instead of a Sine) to get a less constant shift in color or intensity.

--

Good luck, and be sure to post pictures!

Phil
  • Thanks guys -- im still kinda working through all of what that all means but i do have a working effect. I still need to expand it a bit and work other colors in. Im pretty new at this still so i may have some newbie questions

right now -- when i want the effect (say in a song) i am hitting the ALL RGB LEDs group, then the color pallet that i created for it, then the effect. is that the right way? is there a better way?

thanks

TIM
  • Tim,

It sounds like you've got it. It's all experimentation from there.

You've used the palettes exactly as they are designed.

Down the line, once you get comfortable with that, check out Section 17.6.2 of the manual (Recording with Specified Masking). Using masking, you can actually record both your color AND FX into a single palette.

Hope the programming is going well.

Phil
  • Phil:

Cool -- ok -- to be honest the manual is so big, sometimes i dont know where to look for stuff so thanks for the pointer -- i'll have a look at it

Im gonna start programming sundays show here in a bit once i get done teaching

TIM
  • The effect is working SWEET! -- it keeps getting rave reviews from people that see it in practice etc. I'll try to shoot a pic in production and send it

TIM
Related