Hog3 PC as client not showing complete output values

jthatcherjthatcher Registered User, Hog Beta
For the past couple of builds including 2.2.2. I have been running my Hog3 console as my server console and using Hog3 PC as a client, to use as a remote. The issue is that the output window does no show the value window next to the fixture on the Hog3 PC. This does not happen when two Hog3consoles are together only through PC. When the laptop's and console's roles are reversed the output on the client(console) shows the same result. I have tesetd these scenarios with a completely new set of equipment than my normal set-up, which is listed below.

The results in the output window has varied. Sometimes I get no value windows, sometimes I get 150 to 300 channels. I has been consistent with every new show I have created. Large number of fixtures and just a couple of hundred desk channels. I also is consistent with all types of fixtures and parameters. If it has no value window then that means for every pararmeter of that fixture.

Anyone else seeing this or able to duplicate it.

Thanks,
Joshua
1-Hog3 Console(10' CAt5e to Switch)
1-Laptop Running Hog3 PC(Connecting through wireless to access point)
1-DP 2000(10' Cat 5e to Switch)
1-Gigabit Switch(Netgear)
1-Wireless Router(100' Cat5e to Switch)

Comments

• Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited November 2007
    Joshua

Thank you for the information.
    I was able to reproduce this in the lab.
    I have logged a bug for this, Bug #11228.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited November 2007
    This appears to have started around 2.1.0 when we merged desktop and editor processes. We don't seem to have any good workarounds right now but we will keep and eye out while this is being fixed.
  • jthatcherjthatcher Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2007
    Thanks. Glad to hear your on it. Think there is a chance this will be a fix that will be seen in the next build or so? Working on a project that is covering large spaces and locations and would be huge if it was.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited November 2007
    It will depend on how big of a development project it will be to get this working again. A lot of re-architecturing was done around 2.1.0 which means this bug fix most likely will not simply mean going back doing things the way we used to. I will keep you updated on the issue.
    edited November 2007
    Thank you Chris.
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited November 2007
    Chris,

Just wanted to remind you that Tom and I have had many discussions about this. Glad to see you guys did a repro of it. It's wierd how sometimes I get this issue, and sometimes I don't.
    "Sometimes the Hog feels like a nut, sometimes it don't."

Thanks
    edited December 2007
    Chris,

Any new news on this fix? There are currently four feature films going on right now. each using at least one Hog3 and a tabletPC as a remote. I'm sure you can imagine the frustration of not knowing the output of half your show when using the tabletPC. Anyways, just checking in.

Happy Holidays!
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited December 2007
    Scott,

We are still working on this problem and it is not part of the new software that will soon be released, however it is still under development for the next version after that.

thanks for your understanding,
    edited December 2007
    Brad thanks for keeping on it.

A note that happens with no value is if you are using a mover that is pointed in a direction, the minute you touch those parameters the light immediately goes to home basically like it had never been touched. I assume that this is because there are no other values that tell it otherwise coming from the dp. That's probably a no brainer, but thought I would mention some of the outcomes withe client not recieving values.

Thanks again,
    edited February 2008
    Has there been any progress on this networking issue. Just recently saw it with a new show created between two H3PC, the client had the same issues. I remebered that for a while there the H3PC ws able to see all of the outputs, but now seems to be broken with Build 2.3.1
    I am still networking two console and the output appears to still be functioning between the two.

I am currently working on a show where we have all of our stages networked, with the ability to log-on and contol the lighting. This bug is really weighing this process down. I am using some work arounds. We have 4 DP's spread out and two Hog3 consoles (1 switching between a stand-alone and a client the other always logged on) on the network with two sepreate H3PC logging on as clients. The system so far is working beautifully. It will be functioning for about 3 months. Any help or updates regarding this would be great.
    edited February 2008
    Brad,

Didn't you tell me that the High End office is networked all together with multiple DP2000s and consoles? Is this bug not showing up there? Is the HES network using just consoles and no PCs? Maybe that's it. Just curious.
    edited February 2008
    Joshua,

Unfortunately this bug is on hold for a release later this year. We often ahve to prioritize our current work load and assign bugs where they fit best. However as this is continuing to cause you and other users problems, I will discuss this bug with the developers and see if there is any way to get it done sooner.

thanks for your patience,
    edited February 2008
    Brad,
    Would love to see this work as it is designed. It is such a powerful feature.

Thanks.
    edited February 2008
    Thank You Brad for all you guys do there.
    edited March 2008
    So today I stubled upon a way to get values into the HPC working as a client. Currently when it logs in the values box is completely gone. I happen to be removing and adding some fixtures and after saw that all values could be viewed on the client suddenly.

I tested this several times by logging on and selecting one unused fixture and removing it from my show. Once I confirmed it on the console I saw the values start coming up in the HPC client. This was consistent 4 times in a row and is still holding.

I also saw that when I did this "remove" while HPC was logging in, just after all hog windows disappear, that the HPC frontpanel immediately poped up with no delay. Instead of it loading all bodies and disappearing for a few minutes.

After the remove I simply hit undo and all ways right with my show again. I did do this with a sort of dummy channel that has no purpose in the show. Probably the safer way to make sure no programming is affected.
    edited March 2008
    I can verify this works. The only thing I'd add is to remove a fixture using the server console, not the client. I think there is still some bugs when messing with the patch using the client console.
    Also, as Josh said, the values do come back on the client console's Output window, however, in Compact mode the values are still not visible. Nice find Josh.
    edited March 2008
    Thanks Joshua,

I have updated bug #11228 with this new information.