General Stepper Motor Question

EsotericEsoteric Registered User
edited September 2007 in HES Automated Lighting
Hey guys, here is a general stepper motor question.

If you have a construct, for example prism, and the motor works on higher rotation settings, but not on lower ones can this still be a stepper motor problem? I have always had them just blow out, I have never had one partially fail like this would appear... But I know it isnt in any of the control boards....

Mike

Comments

• ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited September 2007
    Not knowing what you are seeing, I suppose a motor with one pole dead would give the appearance of only having coarse resolution and not fine.

Cat
  • EsotericEsoteric Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Basically I have a prism motor that will not rotate on a slow speed (it just clicks back and forth, like a shaking gobo) but will rotate on fast speeds.

Mike
    edited September 2007
    Mike,

When you command it to go fast is it smooth?

Did it used to work fine before or is this a first time for either the fixture or the console library?

Here's another test...
    Got another fixture of the same model?
    Swap motor and test it, then swap board and test it?

By the way, what is the fixture we're talking about?
    And what console are you using?

Cat
    edited September 2007
    When you command it to go fast is it smooth?

Yes, on the fastest speed it is... But on medium or slow it is not... :drive:

Did it used to work fine before or is this a first time for either the fixture or the console library?

It has always worked fine and then just went kabloowey! :Eyecrazy:

Here's another test...
    Got another fixture of the same model?
    Swap motor and test it, then swap board and test it?

Swapped the board, not it... But the motors in this thing are heck to get to! :angryfire:

By the way, what is the fixture we're talking about?
    And what console are you using?

There's the rub... *lol* The motor is from a fixture from a certain Canadian Manufacturer that is not nearly as high end as High End... It is a 250 model... :15:

My console? A Grand MA...

But no one supports their stuff like you guys! :rtfm:

Mike
    edited September 2007
    Mike, sounds like you have successfully diagnosed the problem already, you just don't want to change the motor do you. :)

Come on, get out the wrenches! :poke:

I don't blame you, that's why I stopped doing my own car work. Half the time it too far too long and I needed a second car to keep going to the parts store for things I didn't know I needed.

On the other side of reality, do you even have a spare motor to put in?

I don't believe it is worth your time to disassemble two fixtures just to prove it is the motor.

Buy a motor and cross your fingers.

Hope this helps.

Cat
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I was 99% sure it was a motor... But every other time I have seen motors fail they have just totally quit working... I have never seen one behave like this... That is why I wanted to know if it was possible for a motor to fail in that way... Then again I buy nothing but HES, I inherited these fixtures... Yeah, we have a dozen of these units, so having a spare motor would be nice no matter what...

Mike
    edited September 2007
    Mike,

When you do fix it, certainly post the results here.
    I find it very useful to know what it was in the end.

Cat
    edited September 2007
    Certainly! I will post all the solutions once I get them, but it takes me forever to get parts orders authorized, so of all the questions I have asked so far I haven't been able to get anything fixed yet....

Mike