how-tos etc

Hi folks:

Got a chance to visit one of the Mega-churches in my area (The Chapel at Fir Hill in Akron, Ohio) where one of my former students is one of their main lighting techs now. He was showing me their new Avolites, Perl Express Lighting desk that they had gotten, and it got me to thinking a bit.

The Avo has a procedure whereby you select a set of lights, then input a time and then select a pallete (in the particular case we were doing it was a color pallet) and over the perscribed time the pallet would fade in.

Im assuming that it is possible to do the equivalent with the hog 3, but im not sure exactly HOW to accomplish this I have the manual and im more than happy to read how to do it if someone can point me to the right section.

Additionally - im still puzzling out how to properly run our services and the proper mix of "cued" operation and "Live" or "Busked" operation. I've recently begun setting some pretty basic (basically key lighting) cues and then using handles and / or cuelists on handles to overlay effects on top of it. I am not totally happy with the result but i suspect thats myself being over critical etc. I was considering pallets and wondered if it would be possible to create a series of intensity pallets (say at 10, 20, 30 etc percent) and then during the service, grab a set of lights (via the group window) and select an intensity over a time. Again, im not sure how to properly do it - i can create the pallets, but from there im not sure how to do it right. Im also not sure if thats the right way to go about it to be honest.

When i was running on the GSX board, i would just copy some premade cues into a cuelist and click through it as the service progressed, having set times ahead of time. Now, i feel like im getting lost and im not sure how to properly do busking so it works right and makes my shows look good.

Right now my 10 sliders are set up as follows

1. Show master (has my base cues on it)
2. House Lights (more of an emergency thing than anything
3. Vocals - one cue on a list that lights our vocalist area for singing
4. Piano - Controls the piano spot
5. Wall Effects - This is a series of cues some designed to be run sequentially, others to be run singly to control 9 lights (fresnels and par56s that wash our upstage wall. Some are linked for "chase-like" effects - these are (right now) my primary effects lights)
6. Pulpit Spots
7. Pulpit Floods
8. Band area floods
9. Band Area Spots
10. Trees -- we have 6 trees scattered around our stage that have white christmas lights in them for effect

I still feel kinda like the board is running me and not the other way around, and i dont feel like my services look any better than they did with the GSX (although i dont have my LED boxes or my moving lights yet). I want to keep developing so that when i get them i can do a really good job.

I attached a phone snap of our auditorium from this morning - -the large burned out spot above the piano is a chandalier (which i do have control of via dimmers)

thanks for any help / input

TIM
Related