X-Spot issues

EsotericEsoteric Registered User
edited September 2007 in HES Automated Lighting
I have two issues with two different X-Spots, can anyone help?

1. I have one unit that does not power up at all (no LED, nothing).

2. I have another unit that pans past its mark during cues and actually crashes against its stop position. Sometimes it stops in the correct spot and some times it does not. Any ideas?

Mike

Comments

• PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited September 2007
    #1 fuses bad? Theres the main fuse 16a and there are fuses inside.
    #2 sounds like a bad sensor and perhaps a bad motor or belt.

Just guessing.:)
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited September 2007
    It probably is the motor power supply, I have been having alot of those go bad lately and of course they are never repairable, so you end up having to buy a new one.

As for the main fuse, I would bypass it, as High end recomends,
    all those fuse holders go bad fairly quickly, and new xspots don't have one installed.

That being said, it could be 1 of the fuses that are between the 3 phase card and the fan.
    Make sure you remove those fuses to meter them though, they will meter out OK even if they are bad while they are installed.

I think it is a bad Pan encoder, or perhaps a bad 3 phase board.
    That sounds most likely since it sometimes goes to the correct spot.

Good Luck,
    Let us know how it worked out.
    Joshua Wood
  • EsotericEsoteric Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Does anyone have the link to instructions on how to bypass the fuses?

Mike
    edited September 2007
    There is not a document as far as I know.

It is quite easy however.
    Usually I start by removing the fuse holder, it is right below where the power enters the fixture, it should have the brown wire from the power cord entering one side, and going to a small terminal block on the other.

The wire that runs from the fuse holder to the terminal block can be thrown away.

take the lead that used to go to the fuse holder from the power cord, cut and strip it, and put it directly into the terminal block.

Find a hole plug to fill the hole where the fuse holder used to be.
    and you should be all set.

Good Luck!
    Joshua Wood
    edited September 2007
    Well said Joshua. I recently had to do 12 in the air. I just cut the brown wire going in and out of the fuse and crimped in a connector. Either way problem solved.:D

FYI; Working on these units in the air aint fun or easy.:aiwebs_007:
    edited September 2007
    Yea, very little is worse than having to replace a motor power supply in a genie lift...
    Joshua Wood
    edited September 2007
    Ya got me there, even if mine are 40' up on a swaying lift.:( Then there's rethreading the cable... what a pain. You can have the lifts.:D
    edited September 2007
    I can get my truss down, my problem is trying to get them off the truss by myself!!!

Mike
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited September 2007
    If your serious and you have the standard x-spot box's just slowly land them straight into the flightcase's which if they are rigged on a straight truss is actually quite easy.
    Drop the truss to head height tilt the x-spots,put a case under each unit and slowly drop the truss until they are in the case and release the clamps,

if you were being funny i now feel rather silly....
    edited September 2007
    :18::18::18: *lol* I work for a church, it almost made me laugh when you mentioned road cases!!! We dont even have cases for units that we travel with, much less units that hang in the air permenantly.

Mike
    edited September 2007
    Okay, so any reccomendations for getting a fuse cover out that has been worn down from the use of the wrong screwdriver?

Mike
    edited September 2007
    Knock it off with a screwdriver and hammer. Its useless.
    Getting one off a truss aint that hard. It's only 80lbs. I do it in the air on a lift all the time.:poke:

Na, seriously get some help unless you have the bulk to handle it.
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I so dont. My Doc said no lifting over 20 lbs.:nono: I think an X-Spot qualifies. *lol* ;)

Just so we are clear, this is the round fuse holder with the gray plug? I dont see how I could knock that off.

Mike