Going to Colorado?

adamfineradamfiner Registered User
edited August 2008 in DL.3/DL.2
I'm currently touring with 14 active DL.2's. At our show in Denver, Colorado yesterday, I had several "Filter" errors. As the day went on, 10 out of my 14 fixtures were showing errors! "How can this be?", I thought. I checked a couple of the HEPA filters, which didn't seem too dirty.

Then it occured to me... filter errors are caused by poor air flow (generally dirty filters)... but in this case, I think it was the high altitude. After all, we were a mile high and the air was quite thin.

Anyone else had this type of issue? Just thought I would pass this on.

All of the fixtures continued to work fine all day and for our show that evening. We have a show in Phoenix, Arizona tomorrow. Hopefully my "thin air" theory checks out and they will all be back to normal tomorrow.

-Adam

Comments

• SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Adam,

Mike exchanged emails with me on this last night. It is not something we have heard of before. The fixtures should continue to run fine as we don't inhibit lamp strike based on filter.

Please keep us up to date as how things behave when you get to a lower altitude again. I'm curious to hear the results.

Scott
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited August 2007
    I have seen older ETC dimmer racks post a "air flow error" when in higher climates.
    The solution was to include a little funnel that forces air over the airflow sensor.
    Not sure if that applies to DL2 however.
    Joshua Wood
  • adamfineradamfiner Registered User
    edited August 2007
    UPDATE...

Well, I'm in Phoenix, Arizona today and everything seems to be back to normal. I guess it was the high altitude after all.

Thanks for the replies.

Adam
    edited August 2007
    Adam,

Thanks for the update. I went ahead and logged this as bug #10999 in our database to see if there is anything we can do to solve that issue.

Thanks!
    Scott
  • adamfineradamfiner Registered User
    edited August 2007
    (another) UPDATE...

Everything has been working great since the show in Denver... until yesterday. We were up in the mountains in Lake Tahoe, and this time all of my DL.2's had filter errors.

Today we're back to a normal altitude and things are fine.

I hope this helps to confirm the high altitude/filter error theory.

Thanks again.

Adam
    edited September 2007
    Adam,

Well it definitely confirms one thing.... I need to take a research trip to Lake Tahoe!! I figure it might take 3-4 weeks of research, development and testing there. Most likely somewhere right on the Lake I think with a picturesque view. Be sure to let me know if you have any trouble in the Bahamas too...seriously! :)

All seriousness aside... I does sound like it is an altitude issue. Other than the errors, did you experience any other issues as a result?
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2007
    If I remember right for example Sony video projectors have a high altitude mode...
  • ahelgorahelgor Registered User
    edited September 2007
    mmm.. i think the high altitude mode is only refering to beeing close to the roof, in other words if the projector is beeing operated close to the ceiling where it's hot.. and therefor the fans will run faster if high "altitude" is selected.. atleast that's how i always enterperated those functions in a projector(many brands have similiar functions i believe)
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Well, last fall when I did a show in Denver w/ DL.2s I had the same issue.

I never really thought about the altitude though b/c we had been out with them for almost 2 months at that point...I simply replaced the filters the next day during load-in at a lower altitude before powering up and the warning went away.

I'll be back in Denver towards the end of this month with units, and I'll let you know if I have issues again.
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited September 2007
    ahelgor wrote:
    mmm.. i think the high altitude mode is only refering to beeing close to the roof, in other words if the projector is beeing operated close to the ceiling where it's hot.. and therefor the fans will run faster if high "altitude" is selected.. atleast that's how i always enterperated those functions in a projector(many brands have similiar functions i believe)
    Well, for example the manual page 7 of the Sony VPL-PX40/35 projector says:
    When using the projector at an altitude of 1,500 m or higher, turn on "High Altitude Mode" in the INSTALL SETTING menu. Failing to set this mode when using the projector at high altitudes could have adverse effects, such as reducing the reliability of certain components.

But you are right that fans run faster in that mode...to keep the thin air flowing and cooling.
  • ahelgorahelgor Registered User
    edited September 2007
    i guess I can't know everything;)
    edited September 2007
    OK..we just finished two shows at the same altitude with totally different results.

First show was in Dever. Outdoor venue, cold + wet weather (around 45 degrees F and light drizzle). No filter errors.

Second show next day in Albuquerque. Outdoor venue, very hot + dry weather (around 90 deg F and clear skys). All units showed filter errors.

Next show is tomorrow in Dallas...I will wait to see if Filter Error persists.

So this poses the question: do temperature and humidity also factor in with altitude?

This would make sense as colder, wetter air would be much more dense than hotter, drier air at the same altitude.
  • Md1965Md1965 Registered User
    edited November 2007
    You might want to look into density altitude calculations, as that would be much more relevant than just the altitude. Cheers.
    edited November 2007
    Md1965 wrote:
    You might want to look into density altitude calculations, as that would be much more relevant than just the altitude. Cheers.

My point exactly:beerchug: .

FYI as an update...show in Dallas showed no filter errors at all. Then two weeks later we did another show in Dever. Indoor theater venue...no filter errors...air was cool and dry. We never touched the filters the whole tour.:)
  • mreifstemreifste Registered User
    edited August 2008
    I have a show in Denver at the moment. All 4 of my DL-3s gave me Filter Life errors. A couple of hard resets and a reset from the CMA seemed to fix the problem though.