A Hog2 users opinion

Christian OlssonChristian Olsson Registered User
edited July 2007 in Wholehog Lighting Control
Hello

I have been using the hog 2 for the last 3 years. Last week I did a festival on the hog 3. Here is the list of things that I didn’t like:

System:
2 wholehog 3 - 2.1 build 1618
2 dp 75 mhz – 2.1 build 1618
1 gigabitbit switch
3 playback wings (the small version with 10 faders)
2 external screens per console 800x600

1) The desktop crashes if you name the cues with long cue names. If you restart the desktop you have to be really quick to tap next page and then open the cuelist and edit the name, before you can go back to that page.

2) I had one cuelist doing some very strange things with fade times. It was a cuelist for positions. All fade times seamed like they were divided with 10. It was only with that cuelist. I had edited the times by clicking on the time, pressing set, entered a number, and pressed enter.

3) Sometimes when powering up, only one dp was located. Then when powering down and powering up again it was located. As soon it was working I didn’t have any problems with the dp’s.

4) I didn’t like the thing about list and macro flashing, even though I later on read in the forum that it is a known ghost.

5) When trying to open the cd tools the desk crashed – I didn’t touch it afterwards.

6) I tried the flip function for a mac 500. The desk found 3 different positions.

7) When using gel picker for a mac 600 and choosing lee106, you get a hue 10 and saturation 89%. I find that saturation at least could be 100%.

8) When holding choose on the hog 2 it is possible to edit the rate on an effect, that is being played from a cuelist. Is this not possible on the hog 3?

9) I miss being able to do intensity effects on a htp fader.

10) When assigning fixtures to do 5hz strobe, mac 700 and robe colorspot 1200, doesn’t do the same rate.

11) Sometimes when using palettes, the screen doesn’t follow the arrow keys. If you close the window and opens it again, the window follows the keys again.

12) When typing "Cue 3 Open - Blind - Clear - Pig Release" some parameters are still left onstage untill you close the window with cue information. I find that doing "Clear - Pig Release" should knockout everything but parked channels.

One desk was doing lights and the other media servers. It was fantastic to be programming into the same show on two different desks. When doing shows I was in control of the lights on one desk but I didn’t touch the colours. This meant that the designer who was doing the media servers on the other desk had control of colours in all fixtures and media servers. Synchronous playback of colours had been on their wishlist for a long time.

Best regards Christian

Comments

• bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Thank you Christian for the feedback. I am currently on the road and have limited internet access, but I will send a full detailed response to your email in the next day or so.
    edited July 2007
    Christian,

Thanks for being patient while I was traveling. See below my comments:

1) The desktop crashes if you name the cues with long cue names. If you restart the desktop you have to be really quick to tap next page and then open the cuelist and edit the name, before you can go back to that page.
    BRAD>> We are aware of this bug (#10650) and it has been fixed in the upcoming release.

2) I had one cuelist doing some very strange things with fade times. It was a cuelist for positions. All fade times seamed like they were divided with 10. It was only with that cuelist. I had edited the times by clicking on the time, pressing set, entered a number, and pressed enter.
    BRAD>>This sounds odd. Maybe the cuelist rate was adjusted? Can you send a show file? Did you adjust the rate wheel?

3) Sometimes when powering up, only one dp was located. Then when powering down and powering up again it was located. As soon it was working I didn’t have any problems with the dp’s.
    BRAD>>What type of switch was in your system? Did you power the console or the DPs first?

4) I didn’t like the thing about list and macro flashing, even though I later on read in the forum that it is a known ghost.
    BRAD>>This problem is still a mystery, but we are aware of it and hope to solve it soon. It is logged as bug #7829

5) When trying to open the cd tools the desk crashed – I didn’t touch it afterwards.
    BRAD>>Did you have a CD in the drive? IF so was it an audio CD or a data CD?

6) I tried the flip function for a mac 500. The desk found 3 different positions.
    BRAD>>This is as expected as many fixtures with large pan and tilt ranges have several values that can equate to a flip. The console will cycle through these combinations to provide you the ability to select the one that works best for you. This is further explained in section 15.3.2 of the manual.

7) When using gel picker for a mac 600 and choosing lee106, you get a hue 10 and saturation 89%. I find that saturation at least could be 100%.
    BRAD>>The values that are used to define gel colors are made to provide a close approximation to the gel color. You may wish to tweak them slightly to allow for your own preferences.

8) When holding choose on the hog 2 it is possible to edit the rate on an effect, that is being played from a cuelist. Is this not possible on the hog 3?
    BRAD>>This feature is not currently available, but is on our list of features to implement in the future. Enhancement #3103 details this feature.

9) I miss being able to do intensity effects on a htp fader.
    BRAD>>Again this is on our list for the future. Enhancement #8335

10) When assigning fixtures to do 5hz strobe, mac 700 and robe colorspot 1200, doesn’t do the same rate.
    BRAD>>Strobe parameters are not calibrated, instead they are scaled according to the DMX protocol of each fixture. This may result in some fixtures behaving differently at similar values.

11) Sometimes when using palettes, the screen doesn’t follow the arrow keys. If you close the window and opens it again, the window follows the keys again.
    BRAD>>In order for the cursor to follow the arrow keys, the palette window must have focus. You can tell which window has focus by looking at the blue title bar of the window. The window with focus will be dark blue.

12) When typing "Cue 3 Open - Blind - Clear - Pig Release" some parameters are still left onstage untill you close the window with cue information. I find that doing "Clear - Pig Release" should knockout everything but parked channels.
    BRAD>>Opening a cue with “Cue 3 Open” will leave the editor open. If you take the editor out of blind, then its information will be live on stage. You will need to close the window or press blind on the editor window (not the programmer).

thanks,
    BRAD
  • Christian OlssonChristian Olsson Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Hey Brad

Thanks for the answers to 1, 4, 8 and 9, since you are aware, I wont comment on these. I have commented on the others. I have also added a 13.

BRAD>>This sounds odd. Maybe the cuelist rate was adjusted? Can you send a show file? Did you adjust the rate wheel?

Christian>> I have send you the show file, to your e-mail address I found in your profile.
    The cuelist is cuelist 57 called “ALL POSITION”. It’s probably me that has done something strange, but it seamed weird to me that the fadetime displayed wasn’t equal to what happened.

BRAD>>What type of switch was in your system? Did you power the console or the DPs first?

Christian>> I am sorry, I don’t know what switch we used, but I powered up the DP’s first.

BRAD>>Did you have a CD in the drive? IF so was it an audio CD or a data CD?

Christian>> I am sorry, I don’t know. I just removed it afterwards and threw it away.

BRAD>>This is as expected as many fixtures with large pan and tilt ranges have several values that can equate to a flip. The console will cycle through these combinations to provide you the ability to select the one that works best for you. This is further explained in section 15.3.2 of the manual.

Christian>> I will try to explain my self a little better. The 3 positions where different = not lighting the same position on stage.

BRAD>>The values that are used to define gel colors are made to provide a close approximation to the gel color. You may wish to tweak them slightly to allow for your own preferences.

Christian>> Okey – it just seamed wrong to me, and I just wanted to let you know.

BRAD>>Strobe parameters are not calibrated, instead they are scaled according to the DMX protocol of each fixture. This may result in some fixtures behaving differently at similar values.

Christian>> It says in the manual (version 2.1) under “3.5.1 Real World Units”
    ….
    This speeds up programming and allows fixtures of different types to be selected and adjusted at the same time: for example, you can assign several fixtures of different types to all strobe at 10 Hz without having to worry about the different DMX values required by each fixture to achieve this. The Wholehog III will give you the best possible match between fixtures; the only limitations are those of the fixtures themselves.

BRAD>>In order for the cursor to follow the arrow keys, the palette window must have focus. You can tell which window has focus by looking at the blue title bar of the window. The window with focus will be dark blue.

Christian>> I am aware of this. We where 2 programmers who both experienced this. The cursor was moving along with the arrow keys, but the screen didn’t follow the cursor. Which meant that the cursor moved out of the screen, and we couldn't see where it was..

12) When typing "Cue 3 Open - Blind - Clear - Pig Release" some parameters are still left onstage until you close the window with cue information. I find that doing "Clear - Pig Release" should knockout everything but parked channels.
    BRAD>>Opening a cue with “Cue 3 Open” will leave the editor open. If you take the editor out of blind, then its information will be live on stage. You will need to close the window or press blind on the editor window (not the programmer).

Christian>> Okey – then I just have to get used to this new way of thinking.

13) When assigning a movement effect to “701 thru” and then typing “701 thru copy to 1201 thru” only 1201 get the values. Should I type it different on the hog3?

This thread wasn’t meant negative in any way, I just wanted to let you know how I experienced the desk, I hope it’s useful in some kind of way :)

Best regards Christian
    edited July 2007
    Thank you Christian.

I did not take your remarks as negative... we appreciate all input from users as it only makes our products stronger. I will take a look at your show file and your other items here and get back with you soon.