How to ??

SimonSimon Registered User, Hog Beta
edited July 2007 in v2.1.0
Hi guys,
Imagine the following scenario:
I have a show that runs daily and is fully programmed .
But every once in a while my artist jumps of stage and goes to different places in the audience or on stage.

In that case I select the one fixture that does the best job, enter its number and adjust the intensity.
but.... this fixture has to fade (!!!) out when I start my next cue.

I do not want to Update my Cue, because tomorrow everything should look as usual.

how can I do this???
greets
Simon

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited July 2007
    Maybe use an inhibitive submaster for that one fixture?

To do this create a group with only the fixture you want in it, then MOVE that group to a fader.

Now when this fader is up the fixture will be at its' recorded level, but if you bring it down it will fade out.

Does this work for you?
  • SimonSimon Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2007
    Marty,

sorry, but that wont help.
    Imagine there are 20 possible places (and even more possible fixtures) that my artist might go to. so the submaster is not helpful.
    I'm thinking of the way Strand Lighting does it in its 500er consoles. (has no programmer at all)

I'm searching for the flexibility to adjust fixtures during my show.
    How are you guys doing that? using a fixture in a show only once without storing it.
    OK, I can put the fixture in the programmer, but I don't want it to be there (forget to clear it) when I go into mys next cue.

is this an unusual problem?? I mean sometimes unexpected things do happen on stage (as I heard :-)

Simon
  • leebotleebot Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2007
    You can use pig + blind to fade between the contents of the programmer and the cue that is running on stage. If you no longer need that look in the programmer then you can press cloear and take the console out of blind.
    edited July 2007
    leebot,

we are getting closer to what I'm looking for.

Is it possible to give a cuelist a higher priority than the programmer?
    So the fixtures will fade out automaticly with my next cue?
    I'm afraid that I might forget to clear or blind the programmer because the show is quite complex and things change pretty fast.

Simon
    edited July 2007
    No you cant give the culist a higher priority than the programmer. That is why I would use pig + blind to get back to your look onstage. The red lighti on the clear button should hilp you remember that something is active in your programmer.
    edited July 2007
    I'm just getting started with the HOG so maybe I have to get used to this way of working with the console.

thanks for your help.

Simon
    edited July 2007
    Simon,

If you turn on "Fade Changes" from inside the Programmer, then anytime you make do something new...including Blind and Clear....will happen in the default time specified in your user Preferences.
    edited July 2007
    I would also add that if you are adjusting movement turn off fade changes. It inserts a delay that is extremly hard to adjust to. You will find yourself overshooting the position. I found this out the hard way and after a frantic call to Mitch on a Saturday we finally figured out what was wrong.
    edited July 2007
    Of course...if you have a time other than "0" for positions, the changes will be "faded". Just turn off Fade Changes in this case and move your positions, or set postion time to zero under preferences and keep it turned on.
  • JimOhrbergJimOhrberg Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2007
    Simon,

Are there literally only 20 different locations that you need to cover?

I have a situation in a time-coded show where a guitarist can opt to go to three alternate locations for a solo. In a similar manner, here's how I might handle your situation:

I would create an additive view (possibly called "artist") that shows me the cuelist directory where my artist locations are listed, say for example lists 101-120. Each list is named for the physical location where the artist would go.

Let's call list 101 "center audience". I would set the priority of list 101 higher than the main cue list. Maybe fixtures 6 & 7 would cover this position. Cue 1 in list 101 would move those fixtures to that position pallette in 5 seconds, and possibly change to white. If I needed to clear a gobo or make a dark move, I would precede the cue with a cue that doused the lights first, then move, then fade up the intensity. After the artist leaves the temporary position, I would write an additional cue to fade out the lights (if needed), then restore them back to their normal position and look. The last cue in the list (as an autofollow to the restore position) is a virtual cuelist release (comment macro "RL101").

During the show, the artist jumps down into the center audience position. I press the button for the "artist" view, then use the cuelist view to execute list 101. When the artist returns to stage (or runs elsewhere), I press list 101 again to restore the fixtures to their home.

Using this method, you can program as many location and fixture combinations as needed (with colors and gobos if needed), all available by running the virtual lists and not affecting your main cue list.

I also like to have a cuelist on my display that releases all of my virtual cuelists at once. For example, list 125 contains linked cues with comment macros such as "RL101", "RL102", etc... Running list 125 then releases all of the alternate positions. If the artist always returns to stage in the same cue in your main cuelist, you could actually call the "release list" as a comment macro in the main list ("GL125"). List 125 then releases itself at the end "RL125".

Each list in this little exercise should have "Reset on Release" enabled.

I also like to label the cues appropriately to give feedback to the operator, especially while the fixture is moving in the dark to prevent the operator from pressing the virtual cuelist button too many times. Labels such as "moving", "fading in", "fading out", and "restoring" are helpful in the little bar at the bottom of each list in the cuelist directory to let the operator know what the list is doing.

Note that there is a known bug regarding the comment macro execution of virtual cuelists with time code (see http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=3623), which requires virtual lists to be landed on virtual wings as a workaround. If you are not using time code, I don't think the virtual lists cause a problem.