Video Input

LekoliteLekolite Registered User
edited August 2009 in Axon
I have been playing with different sources feeding into the video input on our Axons, and noticed that pressed DVD's (I assume they have macrovision or some other copy protection scheme) will not play. DVD's burned from a computer will play fine from the same player.

2 questions:
1. Does anyone know if this is a hardware issue in the video card or a software issue?

2. Is a Fix Planned?

Thanks,

Billy

Comments

• schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Billy,

This 'issue' is actually copyright protection written into the DVDs. Something with the way the DVDs are formatted will not allow video capture sources, like the one on our video cards, to smoothly playback DVDs.

If we were to fix this, we would be breaking copyright laws. I realize that you can play DVDs with a player and a projector just fine, but there is no way in that set up of copying or manipulating the video content.

Regards,
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited July 2007
    You could also use a D-Tek rack as a switcher with a DVD player in order to let it "play."

Just another idea....
    edited July 2007
    Jon,

Right, but only if your final destination is not a DL.2. The signal carried through the Dtek should still have the Copyright lock on it.

Trust me, watching a movie on collaged DL.2s has been an idea kicked around once or twice at the office :rolleyes:
    edited July 2007
    You know Matt...I didn't even think about it because it would still be going through the capture card....so....nevermind. :dunno:

I do have to say that XBox 360 across a 3x1 Collage is pretty fun though.
    edited July 2007
    Myself and one of the DL.2 developers have been trying to convince the managers around HES that a nintendo Wii is needed in the Engineering department. I can just image playing Wii Tennis on the 16x20 screen in the demo room...:headbang:
    edited July 2007
    Matt,

You just have to remember....

It's not a Wii. It's an Axon Alignment Generator required for testing newer features of Axon Servers (at least according to the PO).

:)
    edited August 2009
    SaDamb...

I'm trying to figure out what your question is...

Is it how to encode video files? Is it why is the video so good on the Live Input?

If it is indeed content you're trying to figure out, try checking out the "Content Preparation Guide" on the High End Website.

Personally, I use everything from After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, or purchased content. As far as encoding that footage, I use Episode for Mac.